• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Wake will not be forced out of the ACC and we will not win many, if any, ACC games as long as Ruggerio/Clawson keep this offense. Too late to do anything much about it this season since they spent the Spring and Fall camps exclusively practicing the train wreck you see now. Having to change everything up now, or even doing any but cosmetic tweaks, will have to wait until the off season or else we will look like the week Grobe decided to change everything for the game against Miami several years ago, didn't work then and won't work now

It is actually scary to realize how many HIGH SCHOOL offenses i have seen run more effecientlly than ours did Thursday night. Not only more effiecient but more dynamic as well. I dont think it would take much for many members on this board to come up with a better scheme. I have been a supporter of clawson, understanding the difference in time it will take for football to return to competitiveness vs basketball. That being said, there has been ZERO improvement as far as results are concerned since he got here. I never thought I would be alive for a day when I said i miss LOBO's offense. good riddance

You may want to read the bylaws of the ACC. The scenario you describe is not legally possible.
You are right but the trajectory at some point, from embarrassment and 1/3 filled stands and pressure from ESPN will cause wake to get a good deal to leave. Eventually there is no way a tiny self respecting university can endure the future semi pro college football. Might become true with bb

In this 10-year anniversary of the magical run, our motto this year appears that it should have been "The Time Was Then"

You are right but the trajectory at some point, from embarrassment and 1/3 filled stands and pressure from ESPN will cause wake to get a good deal to leave. Eventually there is no way a tiny self respecting university can endure the future semi pro college football. Might become true with bb

Wake will get at least 20 million per year and depending on the success of the ACC Network possibly much more than that going forward. That's at least $100 million dollars every five years. There is absolutely no deal ESPN could possibly offer us to willingly leave that level of income.

Wake will get at least 20 million per year and depending on the success of the ACC Network possibly much more than that going forward. That's at least $100 million dollars every five years. There is absolutely no deal ESPN could possibly offer us to willingly leave that level of income.

Agreed 100%. We will not get kicked out of the ACC over poor athletics and neither will Boston College. We have never been a football school but we should at least be competitive. What we seen on Thursday was not competitive and it should scare those that support WF athletics with what we put on the field. I am starting to believe that both Clawson and Manning are not the answers to either program but until Ron Wellman and Hatch are replaced, we will continue to see this product on the field.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I donated money for a practice facility that yielded such a pathetic effort.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I donated money for a practice facility that yielded such a pathetic effort.

I'll take Nick Saban and his staff practicing our team in a cow pasture. I get the facilities argument and why we need them to compete. But, at some point, it comes down to the people inside those facilities.
And, I'm certain this does not all rest on our players.

Based on your donation track record (as well as that of 95% of this board), I guess we will never know the answer to the question of how you would feel if you donated money.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in hearing what everyone gives to the Deacon Club. I'm at the bare minimum, which I think they call a bench warmer, or some shit. I didn't go to Wake, nor do I make enough money to justify giving anything substantial until we turn our flagship programs around. Any Moricle bro's on these boards?

Based on your donation track record (as well as that of 95% of this board), I guess we will never know the answer to the question of how you would feel if you donated money.

I don't trust Wellman's stewardship or his ability to get results. What outcome do you look for as a result of your giving?

Game #25 offense looks the same as Game #1 offense.

What outcome do you look for as a result of your giving?

attachment.php

This discussion regarding Wake's place in college football will likely be resolved in the next few years. The schools that comprise the P5 conferences will realize they would benefit from leaving the NCAA, at which point they will realign/reorganize conferences. Some schools presently in those conference will be left behind because they add no value to the new world order. Despite longstanding rivalries and common, shared values money will win out. Wake Forest will then be free to seek membership in a conference more appropriate in this day and age.

I'm sure this is a minority opinion, but would this scenario be all that bad for WFU? Would it be so bad to be in a conference with Vandy, NW, BC, etc, and have the ability to be consistently competitive in said conference without the bloated expense and resource-drain of trying to keep up with Clemson and FSU?

Our membership in a P5 conference pays for all the non revenue sports that we have to have scholarships for as per Title IX. End of discussion.

Our membership in a P5 conference pays for all the non revenue sports that we have to have scholarships for as per Title IX. End of discussion.

How do the dozens of non-P5 schools that play D1 football pay for their non-revenue sports? How do some consistently show up in the top portion of the Capital One Cup standings?

The point is, it's not black and white. The writing is on the wall RE: a move to super-conferences motivated by football money. It's possible - though not probable - that WFU gets left out in such a scenario. If that happens, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

It continues to make my head spin that the insane amount of money we get from the TV contract can't "buy" a competitive football team. I'm guessing, but I bet we get less than $10m per year from giving to the athletic program and the rest from TV deals, tickets, etc. We have basically added about $10m (20% to 30%?) to the athletic department's budget in the last 5 years and we still suck. It's nice that we got a big check for part of the field house, but our TV money is $10m more per year now than it was less than it was a short ago. We're certainly not going to ever raise state school amounts from giving. Alabama had $150m of revenue from athletics in 2015. NC State and GA Tech had around $75m (the lowest of the ACC, only public schools publish), but it doesn't seem like we're getting much for quite a few dollars. And still a 1 steak limit for recruits!

How do the dozens of non-P5 schools that play D1 football pay for their non-revenue sports? How do some consistently show up in the top portion of the Capital One Cup standings?

The point is, it's not black and white. The writing is on the wall RE: a move to super-conferences motivated by football money. It's possible - though not probable - that WFU gets left out in such a scenario. If that happens, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Wake has won the National Championship in Soccer and Field Hockey. We've been to the tourney in Baseball and Tennis. Would we have done that without the P5 money?

Back