• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina Thunderbirds are back!

The new Thunderbirds will start play in the 2017-18 season and will play 28 homes games at the Fairgrounds Annex at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds. Tickets will start at $8 a game and parking will be free.

Works for me.
Shame we have to wait a year.

I am. Nothing like seeing hockey up close and personal, which at an NHL game would cost about $50,000.

Season Ticket prices are pretty reasonable also. I think they will have trouble with attendance, just like they always have. I'm also concerned because, apparently, the FHL has a bit of a reputation for fighting. I have no problems with the occasional fight, but last season the least penalized team in the league averaged over 16 minutes per game. The highest penalized team averaged over 23 PIMs per game. There isn't a breakdown of majors and minors on the website, but that is what I've heard. I'd rather see a bit of actual skill than a bunch of goons that sometimes play hockey. Still, I'll probably end up with season tickets anyway. I'm already dumping $3K into hockey a year, what is a few hundred more?

I was 6 when I saw my first T-Birds game at the old W-S Coliseum and the one thing that stands out in my memory other than the delicious cup full of crinkle fries with vinegar was a very large sign hung from one end zone balcony that said "beat the Erie (Gay) Blades". Old time hockey...

Chuck a Puck 4 Lyfe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to do some image searching for old Thunderbird logos/sweaters.

Am I correct in assuming this Calgary Flames/Winthrop color scheme is the closest to old themes?

2137b239-d435-498e-957c-f59435131db3-full.png

This one looks decent, too:

a522b557-aa33-4503-ab46-e22b08a29811-full.png

I think a Winston-Salem team logo should be black and sort of a greyish-blue, like diseased smoker's lungs. No?

I tried to do some image searching for old Thunderbird logos/sweaters.

Am I correct in assuming this Calgary Flames/Winthrop color scheme is the closest to old themes?

2137b239-d435-498e-957c-f59435131db3-full.png

This one looks decent, too:

a522b557-aa33-4503-ab46-e22b08a29811-full.png

No. The original Thunderbirds colors were red,black & white. I still have one of the original jerseys.

Is there a schedule? Typical game day/time? I'm interested but I'm not going to sign up for tix without more deets.

Is there a schedule? Typical game day/time? I'm interested but I'm not going to sign up for tix without more deets.

A schedule won't come out until the summer after the current season is over but there are two games march 17 and 18 between Danville and Port Huron. I'm assuming the games will be like normal, one game during the week and one during the weekend.

Back