• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RBs - Bell, Carney, Colburn, Reid

DeacAssured

Reaction score
It seems odd that Reid is not playing more except that Carney is so very good, Bell is last season's established program leader and Colburn apparently did nothing in Fall Camp to hurt his PT, nor has he done anything since to reduce PT.

Can someone describe how WF can utilize all four RBs to best advantage. It would be great to have all 4 RBs really playing up to their peak performance when Clemson comes to town. But if Reid and Bell don't get more PT, that is not likely. Have Reid and Bell not protected the ball in practice or just not developed off season enough? I realize Bell has been injured but surely the coaches have him adequately coached up for more PT.

Thoughts from others who know a heck of a lot more about that position than I do?

Last edited:
Start Carney. Play Colburn to rest them. Play Bell on some 3rd and longs as a pass catcher. Play Reid if Carney or Colburn get injured.

All that said, I hope Reid sees plenty of reps on Saturday.

What has Reid done to deserve reps? I hope I am wrong but he seems like the guy who everyone liked in recruiting who just is an average player. I like what Carney has done, Colburn ran well in spurts and Bell came in on 3rd downs. Not sure where Reid fits in. Seems like a slower Carney.

What has Reid done to deserve reps? I hope I am wrong but he seems like the guy who everyone liked in recruiting who just is an average player. I like what Carney has done, Colburn ran well in spurts and Bell came in on 3rd downs. Not sure where Reid fits in. Seems like a slower Carney.

Are you addressing Ph's comment?

If so, I read his comment as he hopes we're up by 100 in the first quarter.

On one play I recall, Colburn blocked a blitzing LB low, LB flipped over him and down, then got up and made the sack. Don't know how that would grade out.

My grade is that somebody should have gotten open and Hinton should have thrown the ball. Seemed like a good pickup by Colburn

On that play, Hinton should have thrown the ball away. He really needs to learn how to do that especially from the pocket.

Les Johns tweeted a depth chart that has a clear pecking order (no "or" this time): 1. Carney, 2. Colburn, 3. Bell, 4. Reid

Wake it seems is setting up their running back rotation similar to Duke, have 2-3-4 capable backs who can rotate and remain fresh come the 4th quarter and can gash tired defenses. The difference is Clawson is actually utilizing the backs, while Cut is wasting away the talent Duke has in the backfield.

I hope any rotating is in the 2nd and 3rd quarters so we will have Carney fresh in the 4th to get or keep a lead.

It was nice to see our backs outperform Duncan. We were one of the finalists for him if I remember correctly. Would like to see our guys outperform Neal at Cuse and Hines at State for similar reasons.

^good point I think/hope. It has been forever since we wore down defenses in the 4th. Clawson may actually be doing some things right. Many folks wanted his head after the Tulane shit show.

^good point I think/hope. It has been forever since we wore down defenses in the 4th. Clawson may actually be doing some things right. Many folks wanted his head after the Tulane shit show.

I think he was just hiding his playbook. Early season, OOC opponent, don't want to show your touchdown zone offense to your future opponents.

Tyler Bell is EXCELLENT in pass pro. We handled blitzes very well against Duke. Perhaps the only down side is that it can be sort of a tell when he's in the game.

On what do you base this? Has he gotten a carry in a game? My guess is he is down on the depth chart because of preseason injuries, but I could be mistaken.

Back