• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Best Colleges rankings

I mean it's a zero sum game. What are we doing that's better than the schools ahead of us?

I imagine we're pretty near our ceiling, hard to ever imagine Wake being something like a top 15 school

(cue sports board posters: "IF WE DONT HAVE A GOAL TO BE BETTER THAN YALE WE'LL NEVER GET BETTARRRRRR!!!!11!!!)

this is an All-Pro LOWF post right here. well done, sir

How much does top down guidance/leadership really help in getting faculty grants? The faculty still need to produce good research or programming in order to deserve good grants.

Good question. You are probably right. I was merely stating what I had heard, namely, that Hatch had a reputation for finding ways to get grants, and that was one of the reasons why we hired him. I am, however, still curious if anyone has any information about improvement in Wake faculty receiving grants under Hatch's tenure.

Can we name any real Hatch accomplishments? They certainly haven't translated into any ranking success.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/m...e.html?emc=edit_tnt_20130913&tntemail0=y&_r=1

No other school has marketed its career center quite as successfully as Wake Forest (which, at No. 27, falls between the University of Virginia and Tufts on the U.S. News & World Report rankings but has struggled with name recognition nationally). In 2009, the university hired Chan, who was running Stanford Business School’s career center and had led a Silicon Valley start-up. Chan has made a name for himself as an oft-quoted expert on getting young people employed. He has given a TEDx talk on the subject of reinventing career services and hosted, at Wake Forest, a symposium that was attended by representatives from some 75 schools. His theme: If universities want to preserve the liberal arts, they have a responsibility to help those humanities majors know how to translate their studies into the work world.

Hatch can only tread water, he can't seem to move us forward. Maybe he's primarily a buildings and administrative bloat guy. Hearn was the leader who elevated the standing of the university, not Scales or Hatch, but Hearn.

The highest Wake has ever been ranked in US News was #23 in 2013 (Hatch started at Wake in 2005).

In addition to being ranked #27 overall, Wake is ranked #5 in Best Undergraduate Teaching and #28 in Best Value.

Pitiful research emphasis for a top 30 school certainly isn't helping our case.

Yeah. I looked up Wake's NSF research awards after going to the local Wake Will event. It's laughable. Only 33 active grants and that includes the Med School. Only two faculty have been awarded over $1 million in NSF grants in the last 6 years.

Does anyone really think Wake is better than the 26 schools in front of us? I don't.

Yeah. I looked up Wake's NSF research awards after going to the local Wake Will event. It's laughable. Only 33 active grants and that includes the Med School. Only two faculty have been awarded over $1 million in NSF grants in the last 6 years.

Wake is also getting between $80-100MM annually from the NIH, but mostly from the Health Sciences (Baptist). Only about $3 or $4MM undergrad from 6 grants in 2015 - https://report.nih.gov/award/index....&fm=&orgid=9021201&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=#tab5

Did a quick export here from 2015 NIH funding at Baptist.

Atala only brought in $184,144

WOMP WOMP

Wake is also getting between $80-100MM annually from the NIH, but mostly from the Health Sciences (Baptist). Only about $3 or $4MM undergrad from 6 grants in 2015 - https://report.nih.gov/award/index....&fm=&orgid=9021201&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=#tab5

Yeah. Just looked that up too. There are 185 active awards at Baptist and 5 on main campus. That's right above the University of Nebraska system (183) and below VCU (215). At $86.8M, the total awards are between Medical College of Wisconsin and Penn State.

We do well compared to ACC privates. Miami is up there at 247 grants at $110M. Duke is close to the top of the list. BC and Cuse are far lower than Wake.

My dad left Wake a little less than 10 years ago now for Ohio State. Looks like his grant funding alone from 2015 is bigger than the entire former department he worked in.

Good job, good effort, Wake. The atmosphere and leadership over there are ungood.

Does anyone really think Wake is better than the 26 schools in front of us? I don't.

At lots of stuff, yea. At lots of other stuff, no.

I think our undergrad teaching is probably among the very best in the country. I have no doubts in the depth and range of our faculty and their abilities. I wish that had more weight in these rankings, which seem to have mostly turned into an administrative and facilities arms race.

Back