• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Best Colleges rankings

Well since state support for private schools is already zero it can't account for any of the change.

Not really true.

States have long supported in state tuition concessions and tax breaks for private students.

And I think it's fairly obvious that inflation in public tuition can help private schools justify rising costs.

The article was proposing that university expenditures aren't rising that much, but the bills go up for students because of structural changes to how we publicly fund education. Obviously the article is less applicable to private schools than public but the subject of it is rising tuition in general.

Yeah. I looked up Wake's NSF research awards after going to the local Wake Will event. It's laughable. Only 33 active grants and that includes the Med School. Only two faculty have been awarded over $1 million in NSF grants in the last 6 years.

I wouldn't expect wake to be competitive in these areas because we clearly bill ourselves as a small Liberal Arts University (lower-case 's'; capital 'U').

I think our undergrad teaching is probably among the very best in the country. I have no doubts in the depth and range of our faculty and their abilities. I wish that had more weight in these rankings, which seem to have mostly turned into an administrative and facilities arms race.

This is true. But these are Research University rankings -- what used to be called R1s -- so undergraduate teaching is, as you point out, just one factor among many. I'm surprised we can compete at all, since Wake has no PhD programs, as far as I know, in the humanities or social sciences.

maybe; lots of smaller, selective lib arts colleges have small classes with excellent teachers. wake just provides a D1 shine to the name.

I've always understood there to be a balance between teaching and research, and that was one of the reasons Wake is so far behind in research. I'm sure it could have just been an excuse though.

This is certainly the way we advertise ourselves. But with the overabundance of qualified but underemployed labor in higher education, the truth is that even regional teaching colleges now have the ability to be incredibly selective about who they hire and maintain unreasonable research requirements without resources or teaching releases.

Well it depends on what you want. I really valued that Wake professors were more focused on teaching than research. Doesn't matter to me if that leads to a lower ranking

So what that means is none of the faculty we've hired in the last decade or two, really, are "more focused on teaching than research". Those days are past.

I wonder if we'll see a bump from the addition of engineering. We probably wouldn't realize any gains until after 2022.

GO BIG OR GO HOME- TOP TEN BABY! :)

Suck it dook and your NC Central classes!

Of the P5 schools, the rankings for undergraduate teaching are as follows:

1. Wake Forest
2. Michigan
2. Notre Dame
4. Stanford
4. Vanderbilt
6. Duke
6. Wisconsin
8. Cal

Seems like something a competent athletic program would be promoting. Very impressive to be #1 on that list.

Seems like something a competent athletic program would be promoting. Very impressive to be #1 on that list.

They are. It was tweeted that Wake was #1 and that's where I got the idea to look at the list of schools.

Last edited:
They should put the whole list. And do much more than just tweet. It better be mentioned by every broadcaster for every Wake sporting event this season.

As a Wake administrator, I am spending my weekend as follows:

Friday - leave early of course, find a reason to drink craft beer

Saturday - do some yard work real early, hop in car with the SO and ride up to Pilot Mountain and do some hiking, eat barbecue.

Sunday, church, lunch, football.

Even though Admissions and International programs have all sorts of stuff going on, on campus, and we have a LARGE football game, I am not working - no chance - and certainly not checking work email or going into campus for any reason.

Amiright? Way off?

You can replace 'Wake' with [insert any college or university].

There's tons of redundancy and work created for work's sake that contributes to the administrative bloat. The vast majority of these positions are not 'essential'. But that's not really different than most positions in other first-world industries.

You can replace 'Wake' with [insert any college or university].

There's tons of redundancy and work created for work's sake that contributes to the administrative bloat. The vast majority of these positions are not 'essential'. But that's not really different than most positions in other first-world industries.

True, but those industries don't beg me to donate to them 8-10 times a year.

Back