• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Best Colleges rankings

Last edited:
Hatch can only tread water, he can't seem to move us forward. Maybe he's primarily a buildings and administrative bloat guy. Hearn was the leader who elevated the standing of the university, not Scales or Hatch, but Hearn.

Hatch can only tread water, he can't seem to move us forward. Maybe he's primarily a buildings and administrative bloat guy. Hearn was the leader who elevated the standing of the university, not Scales or Hatch, but Hearn.

I have heard a lot of complaints about administrative bloat at Wake. Is it really that bad? Just too many Deans and Assistant Deans to Assistant Deans or WTF?

And I agree Hatch has had long enough to move the needle and he hasn't. He's been there what, 11 years? Time for a change.

Still ahead of UNC, so that's really all I care about.

Can we name any real Hatch accomplishments? They certainly haven't translated into any ranking success.

I mean it's a zero sum game. What are we doing that's better than the schools ahead of us?

I imagine we're pretty near our ceiling, hard to ever imagine Wake being something like a top 15 school

(cue sports board posters: "IF WE DONT HAVE A GOAL TO BE BETTER THAN YALE WE'LL NEVER GET BETTARRRRRR!!!!11!!!)

I mean it's a zero sum game. What are we doing that's better than the schools ahead of us?

I imagine we're pretty near our ceiling, hard to ever imagine Wake being something like a top 15 school

(cue sports board posters: "IF WE DONT HAVE A GOAL TO BE BETTER THAN YALE WE'LL NEVER GET BETTARRRRRR!!!!11!!!)

Our goal should be Top 5 so that when we fail we'll still be #10 !

Complacency!!!!

Money Magazine ranked Wake 92nd. Ouch.

http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges/rankings/best-colleges/

All these new facilities in academics and athletics and we never rise. Is it the weak grad school programs? Shitty endowment and alumni support? All of these?

The remaining 705 colleges were ranked on 24 factors in three categories: educational quality, affordability, and alumni success.

Money is ranking the Best Value Colleges and Universities. I think we've stated many times here that Wake is not a good value.

MONEY measured comparative value, by assessing how well students at each school did vs. what’s expected for students with similar economic and academic backgrounds, and the college’s mix of majors.

They are saying you can go to a state school, pay less, get better grades, and get the same job out of school as Wake kids. Just be glad they were not factoring in football/basketball success into the overall student experience.

Ironically, it was Money magazine that directed me to Wake many, many years ago when we were among their best values.

Last edited:
Can we name any real Hatch accomplishments? They certainly haven't translated into any ranking success.

As WakeGal - IIRC - pointed out, we are very highly ranked at helping our graduates get jobs. That is a very good thing, and to be fair, this may be a serious accomplishment by Hatch. Hatch was brought in, at least in part, because supposedly he knew how to get grants for the faculty. I have no idea how successful he has been in increasing grants for Wake faculty. Anyone know?

Money is ranking the Best Value Colleges and Universities. I think we've stated many times here that Wake is not a good value.

They are saying you can go to a state school, pay less, get better grades, and get the same job out of school as Wake kids. Just be glad they were not factoring in football/basketball success into the overall student experience.

Ironically, it was Money magazine that directed me to Wake many, many years ago when we were among their best values.

those were the days

awaken, there's no money in being a good value.

LOWF strikes again.

IMO Wake' s goal should be getting back into the top 25 and maintaining that status. Mystery is right to some degree. It's pretty rare for a school to make a major move up absent a change in ranking methodology. Penn, Hopkins, and Wash U have done it and not many others.

awaken, there's no money in being a good value.

Agree. I am sure MSD looks back on those days as being severely under priced. Note the relatively low need based aid number and high actual price. MSD is for the rich. Pro Humanitate.

As WakeGal - IIRC - pointed out, we are very highly ranked at helping our graduates get jobs. That is a very good thing, and to be fair, this may be a serious accomplishment by Hatch. Hatch was brought in, at least in part, because supposedly he knew how to get grants for the faculty. I have no idea how successful he has been in increasing grants for Wake faculty. Anyone know?

How much does top down guidance/leadership really help in getting faculty grants? The faculty still need to produce good research or programming in order to deserve good grants.

Serious question: I know these rankings get earned media, clicks, and views, but is there any evidence that they're actually relevant? Do HS kids, guidance counselors, parents, etc actually give them much weight? Or are they more meant for PR value for the school's own use, rather than attracting students?

Back