• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

It's not just Wake that lists him - he's also listed as the NCAA Medalist in 1949 and 1950 on ArnoldPalmer.com. I think maybe it's indicating that in team play he had the lowest score overall both of those years, hence the term "medalist."

Right - he was medalist but not individual champion. Very different things.

Virginia graduated a lot, this has to be the year for Wake.

UNC will be the biggest challenge this year, in my opinion. Ohio State will also be tough. UVA loses a lot, including their coach.

With the addition of these three, Wake will be incredibly deep. That will be great for practice and if injuries occur. Last year we lacked depth, but we made it through the year without any injuries. I think we'll probably be the best team in the country this year.

Just in time for us to host the championships. God it would be sweet to win it all.

Welcome back Rafi. Ready to hear about tennis. Is there some way to change the title on this thread?

Any guess as to who will get to play? It looks like the Deacs have 4 or 5 guys who would be super strong at #5 and #6 positions.

Any guess as to who will get to play? It looks like the Deacs have 4 or 5 guys who would be super strong at #5 and #6 positions.

I'll go with:

Singles
Gojo
Petros
Mansouri
Seraphim
Cungu
Zlobinsky

Doubles
Mansouri-Petros
Seraphim-Zlobinsky
Botser-Dempster

Split up Mansouri-Seraphim?

I'm not sure. Mansouri and Petros played together late in the fall and won a national championship, so I could see them sticking together.

Is it rare to have a doubles team where both players are not in the top 6 in singles? Would guess that shows how deep WF is this season.

Is it rare to have a doubles team where both players are not in the top 6 in singles? Would guess that shows how deep WF is this season.

Wake is very deep this season. I see the following players competing for the 5/6 singles slots: Botzer, Solomon, Gadjiev, Cungu, Zlobinsky, Dempster, and Nava.

Is Dempster here for just one year? I remember watching him play doubles with Robby Mudge a few years ago at Wake, and they took out Ho and another Deac, very impressive doubles.

1. Petros - would be surprised to see him anywhere else on a regular basis
2. Gojo
3. Skander
4. Botzer - Cungu and Nava could end up here as well, but I don't see Botzer not in top 6
5. One of the three above
6. Seraphim - Don't see Seraphim not in top 6

This means 1 of Cungu and Nava, plus Gadjiev, Zlobinsky, Dempster, and Solomon all out of singles.

Real curious as well about dubs. Skan, seraphim, Petros, Zlobinsky, Dempster are all locks for dubs in my opinion. No idea on the pairings or the 6th player but would prob guess Gojo. This team is VERY good. UNC, OSU, and Florida are all right there with us though. We play UNC on road and UF at home in same week.

Do we know yet when the Davis Cup matches are for some of our guys and how that plays in our schedule?

Naples, FL Futures Qualifying

Skander (#1 seed) - 1st round bye, won 3 matches in straights, including last match over former UNCG #1
Petros - Won 4 matches, including straight set win in last round over Northwestern #1 and 2nd seed, Strong Kircheimer
Seraphim - won 1st match, then lost to 2016 LSU #2 player in straight sets
Gadjiev - beat teammate Ian Dempster 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 in 1st round, got a win in 2nd, and then lost to current Michigan #1, Alex Knight, 6-4, 2-0 retire
Yuval Solomon lost 1st round to UNC's Arturo Schmidt
Ryan Mueller went 1-1

Unfortunately, Petros and Skander drew each other in the 1st round of the main draw, so they'll play each other tomorrow.
Bar Botzer plays 4 seed Fred Gil today
Rrezart Cungu plays Jamie Malfitano today
Zlobinsky in singles action tomorrow
Dempster/Zlobinsky teaming up in dubs today
Mansouri/Botzer vs. Cungu/Assistant Coach Eaton today

Back