• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

As i recall entrance into Wake was a prize in itself for certain tennis players that then paid their way

Fine; so to bring it back to the source of this entire conversation, sports like tennis and golf are taking fewer true walkons that are admitted purely on academic merit than other sports. For these other sports, this can boost their average team GPA.

I was just trying to figure out why golfers were such shitty students. Then again, they might have busted out the highest team GPA the next year, so who knows.

Interesting that our six sports this year with perfect Graduation Success Rates were: volleyball, men's tennis, women's tennis, field hockey, women's basketball, and women's golf.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/genrel/112116aaa.html

I don't think it's a golfers thing, maybe they just had a bad year when you were there. The sports that I'd guess consistently have the lowest GPAs on average would be football, basketball, and baseball.

Last edited:
Wake Tennis 2016-2017

Interesting that our six sports this year with perfect Graduation Success Rates were: volleyball, men's tennis, women's tennis, field hockey, women's basketball, and women's golf.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/genrel/112116aaa.html

I don't think it's a golfers thing, maybe they just had a bad year when you were there. The sports that I'd guess consistently have the lowest GPAs on average would be football, basketball, and baseball.

Interesting. I wonder how graduation success rate correlates with GPA.

Here's the list of former winners. They don't list the teams with the lowest GPA (obviously):

Dean's Cup Award Winners
The Dean's Cup Award recognizes the men's and women's teams with the highest GPA for the year.

Dean's Cup Award Winners:
2013-14 -- Men's Cross Country and Women's Golf
2012-13 -- Men's Golf and Women's Golf
2011-12 -- Men's Track/Cross Country and Women's Golf
2010-11 -- Men's Track/Cross Country and Women's Golf
2009-10 -- Men's Track/Cross Country and Women's Golf
2008-09 -- Men's Golf and Women's Soccer
2007-08 -- Men's Golf and Women's Volleyball
2006-07 -- Men's Track and Women's Soccer
2005-06 -- Men's Tennis and Women's Soccer

I guess my feeling was proved incredibly false. I do know for a fact golf was last in 2006-2007. But with such a small team them and tennis are probably the most susceptible to fluctuations. I'd bet cross country is the strongest across the board.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, the Deacs are #2 in the preseason team rankings and have the #1 singles player and doubles team in the country.

Petros is #1 in the singles rankings by a huge margin. Skander is #4 and Christian is #21. Gadjiev made it in at #120.

Skander and Christian are #1 in doubles.

That Bresky guy is alright

http://www.itatennis.com/ResultsAnd...vision_I_Men_s_Collegiate_Tennis_Rankings.htm

That's impressive. #2 is the highest ranking ever for the men's team. I think Petros is the first player we've had ranked #1 and Mansouri/Seraphim is the first #1 doubles team. I've seen two other preseason rankings, one with Wake at #2 and one at #4.

That's impressive. #2 is the highest ranking ever for the men's team. I think Petros is the first player we've had ranked #1 and Mansouri/Seraphim is the first #1 doubles team. I've seen two other preseason rankings, one with Wake at #2 and one at #4.

You're definitely right about Petros being the first #1 singles guy. I wasn't quite sure if Cory Parr and Steve Forman got to #1 in doubles after they won National Indoors, but I don't think they did.

Last edited:
I thought so. They made a big deal about it at matches at the time.

I honestly think we could. Assuming Lazarov and Gojo are as advertised, our top 5 is going to be almost untouchable.

UVA and TCU will be very good, and right there with Wake from a talent standpoint.

The women's golf team should be NC contenders too.

I just checked the bios of WF's two freshman recruits:

- Sierra Brooks 2015 US Women's Am runner-up; ranked in the top 5 of amateur players in the world
- Mathilda Cappliez 2015 AND 2016 US Women's Am semifinalist; made the cut in the 2014 US Open; top 20 in the world amateur ranking

That has to be the top rated golf recruiting class. The team returns Jennifer Kupcho who, last year, broke the WF freshman scoring record, and who finished 6th in the NCAA as a true frosh last year. In their last 3 tournaments in the Fall, WF finished 3rd out of 21; 1st out of 17 and 2nd out 18.

Very strong.

Back