• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

This loss would hurt us. TCU is a good team, but has lost to some really bad teams while they've had guys injured, so their ranking is really low and would therefore kill our ranking (cue:432435-page debate about whether bad losses hurt our ranking--spoiler: they do).

(You started this. Just a reminder). Wrong. The loss to NC State (who finished lower than TCU will this year) did not stop us from winning the ACC championship, winning the most matches in program history, and going into the NCAAs as a 6 seed. We'll have many more chances to get quality wins this year, as will TCU.

As an interesting tangent to this stale discussion, there are two new college tennis ranking systems. One (slam.tennis) is data driven and includes team match scores (whereas ITA only includes wins/losses and match site), and the other (USTA) is a top 25 voted on by college tennis experts.

Skander and Gojo both fought back to win their second sets.

Deacs win 4-3. Gadjiev won easily at 6. 2 and 3 singles went to 3 sets, and Mansouri lost at 2 but Gojo won at 3. Really nice win. TCU, with everyone playing, is a top 10 team.

(You started this. Just a reminder). Wrong. The loss to NC State (who finished lower than TCU will this year) did not stop us from winning the ACC championship, winning the most matches in program history, and going into the NCAAs as a 6 seed. We'll have many more chances to get quality wins this year, as will TCU.

As an interesting tangent to this stale discussion, there are two new college tennis ranking systems. One (slam.tennis) is data driven and includes team match scores (whereas ITA only includes wins/losses and match site), and the other (USTA) is a top 25 voted on by college tennis experts.

Using team match scores seems like a pretty bad way to create reliable rankings. The final score of dual matches is so arbitrary because of 1. matches stopped at clinch (even though the winning team could be losing on the other three courts) and 2. 10-point tiebreaks (though maybe this is less concerning)

Deacs win 4-3. Gadjiev won easily at 6. 2 and 3 singles went to 3 sets, and Mansouri lost at 2 but Gojo won at 3. Really nice win. TCU, with everyone playing, is a top 10 team.

Did they have everyone playing? The ease with which we won at the bottom of the lineup makes me suspect that they didn't, but I'll admit I have no idea who should be playing in their lineup

TCU does not have everyone playing. They were pre-season #4 but through a combination of injuries, NCAA eligibility issues, and Cam Norrie missing a few matches to play pro, they took a couple of bad losses. Eduardo Nava, who played 5 last year, is out with a torn hamstring. Trevor Johnson, who played 6 last year, is out with a back injury. Alastair Gray, a highly touted international recruit, is ineligible by the NCAA. With those 3 guys able to play, TCU might be #1 in the country.

HUGE Match tomorrow at home at 1:00 against the Tarholes who are ranked #4 and are very good. We've beaten them the past 2 years in close matches. Along with UVA on March 31, this one of our two biggest matches of the year. UNC has a large team and they will be very rowdy. I am sure they will bring some fans as well. I don't love the 1:00 start time but hopefully as many of the tennis fans on here can get there at least for a little bit.

HUGE Match tomorrow at home at 1:00 against the Tarholes who are ranked #4 and are very good. We've beaten them the past 2 years in close matches. Along with UVA on March 31, this one of our two biggest matches of the year. UNC has a large team and they will be very rowdy. I am sure they will bring some fans as well. I don't love the 1:00 start time but hopefully as many of the tennis fans on here can get there at least for a little bit.

Great post. #5 UNC at #2 Wake Forest, Friday at 1 PM.

The new rankings this week have the Wake men at #2, Petros #2, Skander #5, Seraphim #37, and Gojo #76 (his first time in the rankings). Seraphim/Mansouri doubles are #2.

The women are #34 and Guerin is #50.

We win this match and it's really hard to see us dropping below number three in the final rankings

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

It was pretty wet outside this morning, so I could see this being moved indoors. Either way, the match will start at 1 PM today.

Tangentially related, the TCU coach always does a quick video update after their matches, which is a cool feature that provides good insight. After the Wake match he spent most of it complaining that they were forced to move inside because of high winds, which is an ITA rule. He claimed that benefited Wake's big servers. He followed that up the next day with an apology video to the ITA, because the rules are actually made by the coaches and just enforced by the ITA.

It was pretty wet outside this morning, so I could see this being moved indoors. Either way, the match will start at 1 PM today.

Tangentially related, the TCU coach always does a quick video update after their matches, which is a cool feature that provides good insight. After the Wake match he spent most of it complaining that they were forced to move inside because of high winds, which is an ITA rule. He claimed that benefited Wake's big servers. He followed that up the next day with an apology video to the ITA, because the rules are actually made by the coaches and just enforced by the ITA.

He has a point about the wind rule if it really was only light wins on the ground. The rule right now goes by the Weather.com forecast for the period during the match, and I guess it was forecasting over 25 mph winds. But obviously forecast doesn't necessarily = reality.

Still, hard to see another way of objectively measuring the wind. You can't make every D-1 school buy a wind gauge for the half a time a year that this is an issue

in doubles action wake up 5-2 on 1. tied at 3-3 on 2 and 3.

Won 5 of 6 1st sets and close to closing out 2 matches.

Up 3-1. One match in 3rd set. Other two in 2nd set Wake up a set.

Back