• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

Do they have team rankings at this point? What are our chances of a natty?

The first team rankings will come out January 3rd. I think the team to beat remains UVA, with TCU, Texas, UNC, Ohio State, Cal, UGA, and Florida being very good. I think we'll be a top 5 team with a chance at a national championship.

The first team rankings will come out January 3rd. I think the team to beat remains UVA, with TCU, Texas, UNC, Ohio State, Cal, UGA, and Florida being very good. I think we'll be a top 5 team with a chance at a national championship.

well we whupped uva last yr

Mansouri and Petros both lost in the quarterfinals. In singles. Seraphim/Mansouri won two matches and play for the doubles national championship Sunday at 11 am. They won their last two matches in third sets.

Mansouri and Seraphim win the national indoor championship!

The tennis team has had quite a run in the past 6 months, with a team ACC championship, singles national championship, and doubles national championship.

Forgive my ignorance and it may have already been asked, but do these Fall tennis national championships count as legit national championships for NCAA/WFU statistics?

Forgive my ignorance and it may have already been asked, but do these Fall tennis national championships count as legit national championships for NCAA/WFU statistics?

I get what you're asking, but I'm not exactly sure how to answer it directly. The only tennis title that counts toward Sears Cup points is the team outdoor championships in May/June. None of the singles or doubles titles count towards Sears Cup. There are 3 doubles/singles national tournaments - Fall All Americans (Petros won), Indoors (Seraphim/Mansouri won), and Outdoors (in May/June). There are two team championships - Indoors in February and Outdoors in May/June.

Wake had never before won a singles national championship before the win by Petros a few weeks ago, and they had only won one doubles championship (2008 Parr/Feldman at Indoors) prior to the win today by Mansouri/Seraphim.

I get what you're asking, but I'm not exactly sure how to answer it directly. The only tennis title that counts toward Sears Cup points is the team outdoor championships in May/June. None of the singles or doubles titles count towards Sears Cup. There are 3 doubles/singles national tournaments - Fall All Americans (Petros won), Indoors (Seraphim/Mansouri won), and Outdoors (in May/June). There are two team championships - Indoors in February and Outdoors in May/June.

Wake had never before won a singles national championship before the win by Petros a few weeks ago, and they had only won one doubles championship (2008 Parr/Feldman at Indoors) prior to the win today by Mansouri/Seraphim.

Thanks! I know these Fall seasons are weird for both Tennis and Golf in how to exactly count them. Your answer does help!

Pretty much spot on, except I believe the relatively new Oracle ITA Masters in October is considered a national championship as well now

This is fucking huge - go Deacs!

For Rafi or anyone who may follow international players (to the extent that is possible), anyway yet to gauge how good Lazarov might be versus UVA's Soderlund or other top incoming players at other rival programs? While the returning players at each school are pretty much known at this point, not sure about the newbies. I saw in an earlier post that Lazarov has had some great success recently so that seems promising. But is there a Rubin type player out there at any school who could turn all the expectations upside down?

For Rafi or anyone who may follow international players (to the extent that is possible), anyway yet to gauge how good Lazarov might be versus UVA's Soderlund or other top incoming players at other rival programs? While the returning players at each school are pretty much known at this point, not sure about the newbies. I saw in an earlier post that Lazarov has had some great success recently so that seems promising. But is there a Rubin type player out there at any school who could turn all the expectations upside down?

Soderluund is at a little higher level than Lazarov at this point in my opinion. Laz has had some good success at the futures level but hasn't played any challenger or atp matches which soderluund has and in some cases has won those matches. I think laz will come in and be a very good 3 for us. Soderluund has had the most pro success as any incoming player this year. William Blumberg, who will start at UNC in January, has had the most junior success of any newcomer. He was once 8 in the world and has had success at all of the junior grand slams in singles and dubs.

Just saw this now. IMR covered it well. Soderlund for UVA is probably a bit better than Lazarov. Blumberg for UNC will also be very good. I was impressed with the results from Ito at Texas this fall. With all that said, I don't see another Rubin out there.

The Deacs just added another top player, Borna Gojo from Croatia, and he'll start in January. He has been ranked as high as #827 in the world in singles. He'll make an immediate impact on the lineup. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/113016aaa.html

Is WF tennis approaching KY basketball status where we bring in a recruit for a semester to compete for a Natty and then he moves on to the pros?

Not implying this is bad thing at all, but it's amusing how WF brings in world ranked tennis player just before the Spring season starts when it appears we might have a need in the #6 spot. That is a bad-ass move that only the best programs can pull. Believe me, I wish the football and basketball programs had the ability to do the same.

Also completely disproves the narrative that Wellman is super anti-one and dones. We just aren't good enough to get them in sports not called tennis and soccer.

Also completely disproves the narrative that Wellman is super anti-one and dones. We just aren't good enough to get them in sports not called tennis and soccer.

I don't purport to speak for Wellman, but I think at least "one-and-dones" in sports like tennis are probably a lot more likely to care about their academics while they're at Wake than basketball players. And that's one of the main concerns about one-and-dones

Is WF tennis approaching KY basketball status where we bring in a recruit for a semester to compete for a Natty and then he moves on to the pros?

Not implying this is bad thing at all, but it's amusing how WF brings in world ranked tennis player just before the Spring season starts when it appears we might have a need in the #6 spot. That is a bad-ass move that only the best programs can pull. Believe me, I wish the football and basketball programs had the ability to do the same.

Men's tennis programs are very hamstrung by scholarships, as there are only 4.5 per team and at least 6 solid players are needed to make an elite team. Elite teams have recently dealt with this by bringing in freshmen in January instead of August, as it frees up the first semester of tuition to give to other players. I thought it might lead to one-and-done players that only play one semester, but it really hasn't. For example, Petros enrolled at Wake in January of this year, but he is now back for his second year of school. Similarly, Altamirano at UVA did the same thing and then returned to school the following year. Another move is for top players to take the fall semester off during their upperclassmen years to play pro tournaments, again freeing up some scholarship money. That's what Cam Norrie is doing this year at TCU (he may be the best player in college tennis this upcoming spring).

I don't purport to speak for Wellman, but I think at least "one-and-dones" in sports like tennis are probably a lot more likely to care about their academics while they're at Wake than basketball players. And that's one of the main concerns about one-and-dones
Fair point, but I would have thought golfers would care about their academics too and they had the worst average GPA when I was in school. It's tough to maintain a high average as a team then you can't take (any?) walkons.

Back