• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

At number 1 singles our guy, ranked number 100, beat their guy, ranked number 12, 3 and 3.

Individual rankings don’t mean much for some players, like Gojo (our #1), right now because they are computer based and he didn’t play any college matches this past fall. Gojo is a top 15 player.

The guy Gojo beat, Brandon Holt, is Tracy Austin’s son.

Number 100 seems pretty low for the #1 guy on #1 team, or am I missing something?

yes it is very low but coach believes he's talented enough to play in the number 1 spot and as he continues to pile up wins his ranking will improve, our top three guys are hard to separate to the extent that our number three played number 1 just a couple years ago

Thanks to you both for the explanations.

Makes more sense when you know that current rankings are based a lot on last years' performance. And when you don't have any "last year" that you are rated low.

Makes much more sense that he might be #15 or so and beat #12. The Wake coach obviously has seen him play his team mates, and results so far bear out the placing of Gojo as Wake's #1.

Thanks to you both for the explanations.

Makes more sense when you know that current rankings are based a lot on last years' performance. And when you don't have any "last year" that you are rated low.

Makes much more sense that he might be #15 or so and beat #12. The Wake coach obviously has seen him play his team mates, and results so far bear out the placing of Gojo as Wake's #1.

He may even be top 5, but almost certainly top 15.

#3 UNC lost 3-4 to #6 Texas A&M. #2 Ohio State lost earlier in the day to #7 UCLA.

A great day in Wake sports to see us win and Carowhina and the Dookies both go down

May be overthinking it but it seems like we have not been as successful in dubs as previous years. I know we talked about them splitting Skan/Dirk. Wonder if it’s just guys finding their rhythm with new partners.

May be overthinking it but it seems like we have not been as successful in dubs as previous years. I know we talked about them splitting Skan/Dirk. Wonder if it’s just guys finding their rhythm with new partners.

Doubles is so fast now, with 6 game sets and no ad scoring, that anything can happen. I think all the top teams are more inconsistent than they used to be.

With that said, I think you also make a good point that we have a bunch of new teams that might take time to gel. In my opinion, 2 dubs had been our weakness and 3 dubs our strength, until yesterday.

UVA used to dominate college tennis despite being relatively weak at doubles. Our singles are so strong that we can get away with losing doubles, but winning that first point does make the rest of the match so much easier and gives us momentum.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but have we been rotating our lineups at all in these matches? Y'all have explained in the past how lineups are generally fixed for conference and NCAA playoffs based on how a team set up during the season to prevent manipulation based on opponents. If we continue to win with a rotating lineup, couldn't that give us a potential advantage down the road by allowing us to put forward whatever lineup we want? Does that make sense?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but have we been rotating our lineups at all in these matches? Y'all have explained in the past how lineups are generally fixed for conference and NCAA playoffs based on how a team set up during the season to prevent manipulation based on opponents. If we continue to win with a rotating lineup, couldn't that give us a potential advantage down the road by allowing us to put forward whatever lineup we want? Does that make sense?

We haven’t rotated in the NCAA indoors. It’s similar to the ACC and NCAA outdoors - a lineup is submitted and you can’t really deviate from it. However, we have mixed it up in our dual matches, so that will give us some flexibility when we have to set our lineup for the NCAA outdoors.

Wake vs Stanford.

Wake wins D3 6-0. Down a break at D1. UP a break and serving 5-3 at D2.

Tight match for the Deacs. Mansouri comes through as the Deacs split first sets 3/3.

Zlobinsky big time come back. Mansouri down a break in third, Gojo 4-4 in third. Reaaaally tight.

Back