• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

Flying somewhat under the radar, the women's tennis team has a chance to be a consistent top 25 team this year. They just missed making the preseason top-25 and have two singles players ranked.

The women's golf team should be NC contenders too.

I just checked the bios of WF's two freshman recruits:

- Sierra Brooks 2015 US Women's Am runner-up; ranked in the top 5 of amateur players in the world
- Mathilda Cappliez 2015 AND 2016 US Women's Am semifinalist; made the cut in the 2014 US Open; top 20 in the world amateur ranking

That has to be the top rated golf recruiting class. The team returns Jennifer Kupcho who, last year, broke the WF freshman scoring record, and who finished 6th in the NCAA as a true frosh last year. In their last 3 tournaments in the Fall, WF finished 3rd out of 21; 1st out of 17 and 2nd out 18.

Very strong.

Agreed. I think women's golf, men's tennis, and men's golf will all be contenders for national championships this spring.

The #2 men have their first team matches of the year tomorrow. They play at home (indoors) against North Florida at 10 am and ETSU at 6 pm.

The #30 women play their first matches at home Monday, at 10 am against ETSU and 2:30 against Winthrop.

Alex Lazarov? He's not on the roster.

Interesting. If he didn't enroll then the team clearly won't be as strong. I saw him as a likely 3-4 singles player. We'll still be top 10, but maybe not top 3.

Alex Lazarov? He's not on the roster.

Rut roh. I still think we're pretty strong though. Assuming Gojo plays top 4 then our top 4 should be really freaking solid. If Uspensky's healthy then he should be good at 5. 6 is a question mark

Noah Rubin qualified for the Aussie Open for the second year in a row. He plays fellow American qualifier Bjorn Fratangelo tonight for a chance to play (likely) Federer in the second round.

Deacs win 5-2. Tough start for Skander, losing dubs (in a tiebreak) and singles 4,4. UNF has a solid squad and made the NCAAs last year. They have the #12 and #58 doubles teams and #51 singles player (Petros beat him 4,4). Deacs play ETSU tonight at 6 PM - they also have a solid team.

Anyone know for sure if Lazarov not coming?

It seems petty likely he is not coming this year. In the preview for the matches today it says something to the effect of: Wake is welcoming to January additions, Gojo and Hannity.

I was kinda wondering how we had money for Gojo. Would make sense if he's getting Lazarov's money

I was kinda wondering how we had money for Gojo. Would make sense if he's getting Lazarov's money

He's not. They were both set to come but Lazarov changed his mind. It appears Sean Hill is no longer on the team, so if he was getting some money that may have gone to Gojo.

Deacs with a strong 6-1 win over ETSU. Seraphim lost at 3 singles in a 3rd set tiebreak. Gojo looked really good (he won 0,0).

He's not. They were both set to come but Lazarov changed his mind. It appears Sean Hill is no longer on the team, so if he was getting some money that may have gone to Gojo.

I would be surprised if Sean Hill was getting any money of note

Flying somewhat under the radar, the women's tennis team has a chance to be a consistent top 25 team this year. They just missed making the preseason top-25 and have two singles players ranked.

Local Triad '18 player...who's taking a year in Charleston...committed to the Deacs in December.

He did and apparently didn't tell Bresky until the last minute.

That sucks, but it's also part of the price of doing business if you're going after the top guys (especially foreign guys).

Back