• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

Another trophy for the Deacs today under Bresky - Back to Back ACC Regular Season Champs! Add this to the ACC tournament championship in 2016 and the 4 national championships (Chrysochos in singles, Seraphim/Mansouri in doubles, Seraphim/Chrysochos in doubles, and team national indoors) and it's a very impressive run.

How would you rank Cungu, Nava, Zlobinsky, Gadjiev and Solomon? Ideally if Seraphim can return in form you’d have one of those guys play #6.

How would you rank Cungu, Nava, Zlobinsky, Gadjiev and Solomon? Ideally if Seraphim can return in form you’d have one of those guys play #6.

Yes, that's the question and I don't think even Bresky knows how to answer it. Gadjiev has the highest ceiling (he beat Wiersholm from UVA last year, for example, and Wiersholm was virtually unbeatable at 6), but he's erratic. Zlobinsky was great indoors but seems to not be playing as well outdoors. Cungu and Nava look solid at times, but then they struggle to finish off matches. Solomon bombed during his shot against Florida. I'd go Nava, Cungu, Gadjiev, Zlobinsky, Solomon. You could throw Dempster in there too.

Yes, that's the question and I don't think even Bresky knows how to answer it. Gadjiev has the highest ceiling (he beat Wiersholm from UVA last year, for example, and Wiersholm was virtually unbeatable at 6), but he's erratic. Zlobinsky was great indoors but seems to not be playing as well outdoors. Cungu and Nava look solid at times, but then they struggle to finish off matches. Solomon bombed during his shot against Florida. I'd go Nava, Cungu, Gadjiev, Zlobinsky, Solomon. You could throw Dempster in there too.

Hard to rank the guys 1-whatever due to matchups. The question Bresky is undoubtedly asking himself now is what is the best lineup to beat UNC in ACC finals. The only 2 spots that are locked in are Borna at 1 and Petros at 2. I'll be curious if Tony puts Bar at 3 and Skan at 4 as he did in Chapel Hill. Keep in mind, the master lineup we submit on Wednesday is the one we are stuck with for ACCs. So the question is who for Wake is the best matchup for Bo Boyden at 5 and Mac Kiger at 6. Bo crushed Cungu in Chapel Hill and Kiger won in two tight sets over Gadjiev. Bo is a physical player so I'd avoid Cungu at that spot. A healthy Seraphim would be my 1st choice. Zlobinsky would be 2nd and then Gadjiev. Against Kiger, I'd go with Zlobinsky first, then maybe Nava or Gadjiev. Cungu maybe as Kiger won't overpower him.

Hard to rank the guys 1-whatever due to matchups. The question Bresky is undoubtedly asking himself now is what is the best lineup to beat UNC in ACC finals. The only 2 spots that are locked in are Borna at 1 and Petros at 2. I'll be curious if Tony puts Bar at 3 and Skan at 4 as he did in Chapel Hill. Keep in mind, the master lineup we submit on Wednesday is the one we are stuck with for ACCs. So the question is who for Wake is the best matchup for Bo Boyden at 5 and Mac Kiger at 6. Bo crushed Cungu in Chapel Hill and Kiger won in two tight sets over Gadjiev. Bo is a physical player so I'd avoid Cungu at that spot. A healthy Seraphim would be my 1st choice. Zlobinsky would be 2nd and then Gadjiev. Against Kiger, I'd go with Zlobinsky first, then maybe Nava or Gadjiev. Cungu maybe as Kiger won't overpower him.

Physically, I thought Nava looked pretty good against State in the 5 spot. He just blew some key opportunities.

Physically, I thought Nava looked pretty good against State in the 5 spot. He just blew some key opportunities.

I agree. I like Nava. He is still trying to get back to the form he displayed at TCU two years ago but I think he will help us next year. You have any inside scoop on Seraphim or Zlob? From what I understand, Seraphim was cleared a few weeks ago, kept him out anyway, played him vs. Clemson and he won in a super, but hasn't played since. Zlob has only played 1 singles match since cramping against FSU. I agree that Gadjiev has the physical tools but he can go off the rails mentally and Bo has beaten him twice, once indoors at Wake in a super and last year at NCAA's.

Any idea who we are bringing in next year? I think I saw another guy from Cyprus was coming. Women have two top 40 players plus a player from India who seems to have a lot of international experience. they could take another step up next year.

Any idea who we are bringing in next year? I think I saw another guy from Cyprus was coming. Women have two top 40 players plus a player from India who seems to have a lot of international experience. they could take another step up next year.

Menelaos Efstathao is coming from Cyprus, or at least that was the case several months ago. He'll be a good player for us. I think he is doing Cypriot military requirement stuff now in addition to playing Davis Cup. No idea if he will come in August or January.

I agree. I like Nava. He is still trying to get back to the form he displayed at TCU two years ago but I think he will help us next year. You have any inside scoop on Seraphim or Zlob? From what I understand, Seraphim was cleared a few weeks ago, kept him out anyway, played him vs. Clemson and he won in a super, but hasn't played since. Zlob has only played 1 singles match since cramping against FSU. I agree that Gadjiev has the physical tools but he can go off the rails mentally and Bo has beaten him twice, once indoors at Wake in a super and last year at NCAA's.

I'm pretty certain Seraphim will play in the ACC and NCAA tourneys and that Zlob isn't currently injured.

I'm pretty certain Seraphim will play in the ACC and NCAA tourneys and that Zlob isn't currently injured.

Good intel. If that is the case, I expect to see Seraphim at 5, maybe 6, and Gadjiev/Nava at the other. Will be curious what we do, if anything, with seraphim at dubs. Really a bummer for him that injuries have killed his senior season. Easy to forget that Seraphim is one of the most successful players in Wake history because he played at 5 singles most of the time.

Wake women up 3-2 first round tournament against ND. Two final matches in 3rd sets at 1 and 4

Wake women won 4-2 over ND. They play UVA tomorrow.

UVA does have a good lineup when they are healthy, which right now they appear to be. I like us to get the dubs point. I like Petros at 2, Bar at 4, and whomever plays 6. I think 1, 3 and 5 should be tight, competitive matches.

The WF women play UNC today at 11:30. UNC beat WF 5-2 earlier this year. UNC has been ranked in top 3 all year.

Tough match for the women's team once singles started... UNC wins 4-1.

For the guys, Seraphim is back and Bresky changing up the doubles lineup at 1 and 3: Gojo/Skander ; Petors/Bar ; Dempster/Seraphim

Back