• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

IMissRandolph

Reaction score
First fall tournament of the year will be this weekend at Duke. Obviously some of our guys played qualies at the WS Open a few weeks ago and then qualies at the Cary Challenger last weekend. Petros won his first match in WS, and Skander won his first match in Cary.

Selections for ITAs in Tulsa Oct 1 - 8 were announced last night.

Main Draw (top 48, then 16 qualifiers)
Skander Mansouri Wake Forest (Also in main draw dubs with Chris)
Petros Chrysochos Wake Forest

Qualifying
Max Kan Wake Forest (In dubs qualies with Charlie Parry)
Christian Seraphim Wake Forest
Alan Gadjiev Wake Forest

Pre-qualifying
Dennis Uspensky Wake Forest (am surprised he isn’t in qualies)
Sean Hill Wake Forest
Charlie Parry Wake Forest

We lost two transfers over the summer, Keivon Tabrizi to Indiana and Eric Rutledge to Rice. With the addition of Alex Lazarov in January, we should be as good or better this year than last, but we are not as deep so we will need to stay healthy.

Last edited:
ITA rankings came out yesterday. Skander is #7, Petros #8, and Max Kan #88. Skander and Seraphim are #3 and Kan and Parry are #54. On the women's side, Guerin is #47, Davis #76, and Guerin/Ulyashchenko are #22.

Anyone know the deal with Charlie Parry? He's a low ranked recruit. Maybe a late bloomer?

The Deacs return the #1, #2, #5 and #6 players in the singles matches for the win over UVA for the ACC title last year. That group didn't include Max Kan who was All-ACC as a frosh. Lazarov is highly regarded. Team seems pretty loaded.

I am curious about Charlie Parry as well. With the loss of Tabrizi and Rutledge, and the late de-commitment of walk-on Vuk Budic from Wake to Illinois, I am sure we needed depth so Tony added him. I am less surprised that he is on the roster than I am that we have him paired with Max in ITAs.

Hoping for and expecting an announcement on the assistant coach any day now.

The ACC tennis championships will be moving out of Cary, which is too bad as Wake had a great crowd there this past spring on their way to the championship.

Christian, Max, Sean Hill, and Charlie Parry will all be playing singles at Duke today. Kan and Hill will also be playing dubs together.

Petros, Skander, and Dennis are all currently signed up to play the qualies at the Columbus Challenger starting tomorrow. I don't see Alan Gadjiev on the entry list yet, but he has until tonight to register so not sure why he wouldn't be there with him since he is 900 ATP.

I am curious about Charlie Parry as well. With the loss of Tabrizi and Rutledge, and the late de-commitment of walk-on Vuk Budic from Wake to Illinois, I am sure we needed depth so Tony added him. I am less surprised that he is on the roster than I am that we have him paired with Max in ITAs.

Hoping for and expecting an announcement on the assistant coach any day now.

He lost in straight sets today to a guy who's not even close to playing in UNC's lineup, so I'd put him to the side for the moment

Incoming freshman, Alex Lazarov, just completed two great weeks on the futures circuit, making the semis in Serbia two weeks ago and winning his first pro title last week. He is currently 802 in the world, but will jump to around 645 on Monday when the new rankings come out. That will make him the 4th highest ranked college player in the ATP. That is about where Petros was when he came in.

ITA All Americans start on Saturday in Tulsa with pre-qualies. Dennis Uspensky, Sean Hill, and Charlie Parry will be in action. Dennis is the 2nd alternate for the qualies, so I'm hoping he'll get in directly. The qualies start on Monday with Christian, Max Kan, and Alan Gadjiev in singles, and Max and Alan teaming up in dubs. The main draw starts on Thursday, and Petros and Skander should both be seeded, and Skan/Christian in dubs, plus hopefully they will be joined by a few other Deacs that make it through qualies.

I think I saw that Sean Hannity's son has committed to Wake for next year. Top 100 HS senior out of New York.

Doesn't look like the level of recruit that would typically play in our lineup, but hopefully will help with fundraising

Last edited:
I've heard he has trouble serving from the left baseline.

ITA All Americans Main Draw starts at 10am EST today. Christian Seraphim made it through qualies and plays at 10 today. Petros is the 6 seed and also plays at 10. Skander is the 5th seed and plays at 11:30. Skander and Christian are the 3 seeds in dubs and play around 2:30.

Dennis and Alan both lost tough 3-setters in qualies.

His recruitment must have been pretty unusual, because I know for a fact that our coaching staff wasn't calling Hannity.

Not that atypical for a 4-star tennis recruit coming to a top 5 program. He'll be a nice walk-on but barring a big drop in talent, or a big surge in his game, he'll struggle to play top 6 in critical matches. That being said, every program needs good walk-ons.

Good day for the Deacs as they go 4-0 at the All-American Championships against top competition. Skander, Petros, and Seraphim all won their singles matches in straight sets, and Mansouri/Seraphim won their doubles match in straight sets (though they were down a break in the second and had to fight back to win in a tiebreak).

Not that atypical for a 4-star tennis recruit coming to a top 5 program. He'll be a nice walk-on but barring a big drop in talent, or a big surge in his game, he'll struggle to play top 6 in critical matches. That being said, every program needs good walk-ons.

Apologies, this was a Trump joke that clearly didn't land properly.

Good day for the Deacs as they go 4-0 at the All-American Championships against top competition. Skander, Petros, and Seraphim all won their singles matches in straight sets, and Mansouri/Seraphim won their doubles match in straight sets (though they were down a break in the second and had to fight back to win in a tiebreak).

Wasn't a great sign that Kan got smoked in qualifying by an unranked guy. Was hoping he might be able to play 6 for us

Wasn't a great sign that Kan got smoked in qualifying by an unranked guy. Was hoping he might be able to play 6 for us

I would guess our top 6 will be Mansouri, Chrysochos, Lazarov, Seraphim, Uspensky, and Gadjiev. Kan and Hill will provide depth.

Back