• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who wins Debate numero uno?

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I fear the don will get in her head and she'll wig out Dean-style.

I fear that too. It's one reason I want Johnson in the debate. Helps keep it a debate.

Hillary wins but Trump covers the spread. Net result is that Hillary supporters walk away shaking their heads with feelings of disgust and disbelief. In other words, it won't feel like a win.

All Trump has to do is not leave looking like a raving lunatic. All the pressure will be on Clinton.

Agree, given the curve that Trump is graded on if he ends up sounding at least as informed as the average high school senior then it will be considered a win for him. I do hold out hope that knowing what is at stake Clinton will bring her "A" game and turn things around. Call me crazy, but if Clinton puts Trump in the dirt then I see things swinging back to nasty in this election with Trump being Trump ensuring his chances are done.

I fear the don will get in her head and she'll wig out Dean-style.

Definitely possible, but Trump's number one priority should be appearing presidential and that doesn't work if he spends his time taunting and mocking Hillary. Polling momentum works for him, but he used his polling lead during the GOP debates to taunt his opponents and never looked presidential. Trump's never going to beat HRC on policy, but he blows the debate if he gets rattled or unloads on her. His first instinct is always to go for the kill, but he'd be best served dialing it back a notch. Most people think he's an asshole, but he's only showed fleeting glances (Mexico, LA) of presidential or public service behavior, so he blows a golden opportunity if he goes on attack or lets Hillary bait him.

Hillary is wonky and well prepared, but she's verbally clumsy and lacks spontaneity. Christie won't be on the stage to expose the Hillbot. She knows she'll be attacked on the server, her health, CGI, and Benghazi. She can't appear too scripted, but can crack back at Trump on lack of transperancy, shady business dealings, and pointing out that beauty pagents, slurping Putin, golf courses, and airbnbing Gaddafi are insufficient foreign policy prep.

Both have tempers and can be baited easily, so whichever one keeps their cool wins.

Do we mean objectively "win"? Like who made better points about debate, more substantive posts about issues in America, and who knows more about the economics/policies of the country? Or do we mean who got more laughs and cheap points by poking at the other candidate in order to avoid all meaningful discussion on a topic where he is extremely dominated on?

Those are obviously two different answers.

They both have low expectations set for them. Hillary has the low expectation of likability or relatability or warmness or whatever people are looking for rather than competence and knowledge because people are terrible. Trump has low expectations because when he puts sentences together (especially sentences with buzzwords) people are impressed.

I also think it's more likely Donald will be rattled by Hillary than vice versa. Hillary will attempt to keep things civil and focused and on message and Donald will try to attack and get under her skin and be objectionable. They'll both do well with their supporters and not move the needle much with undecideds.

Also who the fuck is still undecided?

Apparently a lot of people if you believe polls aren't moved by selection and media bias. I ask the same question all the time. I'm pretty much over this election it's gone on way too long and there's still like 7 weeks.

I know I made up my mind when I heard Clinton was getting us a taco truck on every corner.

It's up to Lester Holt. If he makes the candidates actually the questions he asks and doesn't allow either to tell obvious lies, it's one thing. If he's basically a paid observer, it's quite another.

There's not a doubt in my mind that Trump will be declared the winner within media circles, echoing the first Bush/Gore debate. It's an expectations game and as long as he doesn't throw feces at the moderator or call Hillary a cunt, the narrative will be that he "acted Presidential", despite not being able to present sound policy proposals or explain the myriad evidence of corruption, racism, and lack of ethics.

There's not a doubt in my mind that Trump will be declared the winner within media circles, echoing the first Bush/Gore debate. It's an expectations game and as long as he doesn't throw feces at the moderator or call Hillary a cunt, the narrative will be that he "acted Presidential", despite not being able to present sound policy proposals or explain the myriad evidence of corruption, racism, and lack of ethics.

Right, the double standard for the two is remarkable.

I also think it's more likely Donald will be rattled by Hillary than vice versa. Hillary will attempt to keep things civil and focused and on message and Donald will try to attack and get under her skin and be objectionable. They'll both do well with their supporters and not move the needle much with undecideds.

Also who the fuck is still undecided?

This.

I don't think any undecideds watch debates.

LOL

Clinton spin already out blaming someone else for her failing even before she tanks.

He's not really wrong Trump is graded on a completely different scale when it comes to policy. Now if for some reason that actually matters this time around then Clinton should do well, it's her one major strength, talking policy.

who wins or who "wins"

Dolan has everything to win and little to lose at these farces

Back