• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The new rules for tipping

Townie, I asked this on the CT but since you went to Public Option the other night in DC, do they still have no tipping?

asked and answered over there, and yes

it is a little bizarre setup there, but i really liked it overall, definitely my scene, dive-y and weird

What about counter service places? I didn't see that in 'the rules.' If they bring me food but I bus my own table (which they'll wipe after) and I'm responsible for getting my own beverage refills, what's the reasonable tip amount on a $20 meal?

$1.

If it's Panera Bread, $0.

What about counter service places? I didn't see that in 'the rules.' If they bring me food but I bus my own table (which they'll wipe after) and I'm responsible for getting my own beverage refills, what's the reasonable tip amount on a $20 meal?

I've had this thought a number of times at Corner Bakery. You order at the counter (and there's no option for tip when you pay), then someone brings your food out. But they also bus your table. You do your own drinks. So it's slightly more service than Panera. But I have never left a tip nor seen other people leave tips. I often pay with a card and don't have cash on me (or at least not small bills).

Employees at places like Panera or other counter service establishments are paid a full wage, so tipping is not expected. Doesn't mean you can't toss a buck into the jar if you've had a good experience. I'm much more inclined toward the latter when it's an independently-owned place (pizza parlor, etc) and a bunch of HS or college-aged kids are running the joint.

Employees at places like Panera or other counter service establishments are paid a full wage, so tipping is not expected. Doesn't mean you can't toss a buck into the jar if you've had a good experience. I'm much more inclined toward the latter when it's an independently-owned place (pizza parlor, etc) and a bunch of HS or college-aged kids are running the joint.

Yeah, I'm not talking about somewhere like Panera - I'm talking about a lot of the restaurants out here where you order food, go sit down with your number, and they bring you the food/take the number... so I guess similar level of service, but much better food and it's certainly not a chain.

Yeah, I'm not talking about somewhere like Panera - I'm talking about a lot of the restaurants out here where you order food, go sit down with your number, and they bring you the food/take the number... so I guess similar level of service, but much better food and it's certainly not a chain.

Why does quality of food or status as a chain matter? Tips go to the staff, not the owner or culinary department.

Although I rarely tip anywhere that requires me to order at the counter, mainly because I never have cash and they usually don't have a tip line.

DC planning to move the restaurant wage to the regular minimum wage over the next several years. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Restaurants going out of business, no new ones opening, prices going up, service charges or ????

We have it in CA. Restaurants are opening daily. It's a typical RW tactic of underpaying people.

Ill prefice my position with this: I tip 20% every time I eat out. I tip 20% on delivery, and usually 10% if I’m carrying out. If the service or food weren’t worth the price, I just don’t go back. There are a couple places I am a regular at lunch where I’ll leave something extra.

As someone who is an above-average tipper, I hate how tipping works. I hate the idea that my money is going to subsidize some cheap ass who gets the generally same service I do and doesn’t tip or doesn’t tip properly. In my ideal world, each restaurant sets a percentage that goes to waitstaff. Make it 18%-20% and include it on the top of the menu. If people want to leave something extra they can of course.

DC planning to move the restaurant wage to the regular minimum wage over the next several years. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Restaurants going out of business, no new ones opening, prices going up, service charges or ????

Minimum wage in DC right now is $15 dollars, which means restaurants waitstaff payrolls will increase over seven fold: that is going to eat into the margins restaurants are making significantly. Any restaurants that are borderline profitable right now probably will be driven out of business. Of course the most common reason restaurants aren’t profitable is that they aren’t good. Good restaurants will still be able to thrive under this model and it will weed out the underperformers and consumers will win, albeit with a hike in already high food costs.

Lot of opposition from servers though not sure how representative that is. Seems like it would negatively effect good servers at fancy restaurants (in the short term) and shitty tippers. Otherwise it’s hard to see the argument against it.

Minimum wage in DC right now is $15 dollars, which means restaurants waitstaff payrolls will increase over seven fold: that is going to eat into the margins restaurants are making significantly. Any restaurants that are borderline profitable right now probably will be driven out of business. Of course the most common reason restaurants aren’t profitable is that they aren’t good. Good restaurants will still be able to thrive under this model and it will weed out the underperformers and consumers will win, albeit with a hike in already high food costs.

The only consumers that will see a significant hike are those that were shifty tippers to begin with.

Maybe those shitty tippers can tip more now that they make at least $15 an hour.

Back