• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kendall Hinton injury is ...

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons that Clawson gave yesterday for the inability to get an accurate diagnosis without an MRI was the strength of Hinton's leg. I have no idea what that is referring to. Maybe some kind of stability test was inconclusive???

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons that Clawson gave yesterday for the inability to get an accurate diagnosis without an MRI was the strength of Hinton's leg. I have no idea what that is referring to. Maybe some kind of stability test was inconclusive???

Probably talking about the anterior drawer test

http://physicaltherapyweb.com/anterior-drawer-test-orthopedic-examination-knee/

If someone has really strong hamstrings then you could get a false negative on that test. Basically the hamstrings would stabilize the knee and prevent anterior translation of the tibia even if the ACL was torn.

So you would view that as a clue that the ACL was the concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were definitely doing that test on the sidelines, so that's how I interpreted Clawson's comments

They were doing pivot shift test while he was on the field. For any non-contact injury the biggest concern is always the ACL so would be part of any initial assessment. BBD and Deac94 have put it together correctly that they can't assess the integrity of someone's ACL when their leg muscles are locked up. Probably also means they don't feel much give with the test which is a good thing although I would think a fairly common finding with on the field tests. If the ACL is not ruptured on MRI, it will likely be called a sprain.

I believe a torn ligament is technically also a sprain, so a diagnosis of a "sprained knee" means nothing

I believe a torn ligament is technically also a sprain, so a diagnosis of a "sprained knee" means nothing

Histologically, a sprain is just microscopic tears, so you are correct. However, colloquially, even medical providers don't use the terms tear and sprain interchangeably. If someone correctly reported the injury as a sprain, then it's unlikely that it's a high-grade partial or complete tear.

Kelvin Benjamin also had a "sprain" prior to MRI results. Seems pretty common in football to report it this way.

Correct, sprain before the MRI, and sprain after too unless there is a ruptured tendon or ligament, then the diagnosis changes. No one calls microtears "tears."

That's amazing. I wish we had him the next two weeks though, with him behind center we would have had a really good chance to beat Indiana and state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodged a bullet there. Too bad we don't have a bye week coming up, but all in all that is great news

My concern is that we will end up with the same controversy if Wolford actually performs okay over the next few games. But at least we will have the opportunity to see what happens if he is healthy.

Oh man that's fantastic news. Best case scenario.

Back