• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jose Fernandez

He was supposed to start today. But due to someone coming off the DL, his start got pushed back a day. Obviously, he wouldn't have been out late of he made the start. Life can be all be coincidences, and this is a sad example of that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just awful. Seemed to play with so much joy, which was all the more poignant once you hear his backstory.

I was looking for this yesterday, but couldn't remember what site it was on. Missin you, Grantland.

From Cuba With Heat

And from Grant Brisbee:

Jose Fernandez was pure joy

Jose Fernandez was not someone you had to remind yourself to humanize. He was not a player you had reduced to an on-field construct because that’s just how we have to compartmentalize everything. No, no, goodness no. He was so radiant that when he’s ripped away, you almost have to force yourself to remember the talent. How well he played the sport is the afterthought because all you can think about at first is the joy.

My god, the joy.

My favorite highlight of his has absolutely nothing to do with how he played baseball.

That’s Fernandez watching Giancarlo Stanton from 40 feet away and being as excited to be there as any of us will be about anything. Most players make you think things like, "Gee, I wish I could throw a curveball like that," but Fernandez was the only one who made you think, "I hope I’m that excited about life one of these days." When he snatches the comebacker from Troy Tulowitzki, when he stares in unfettered wonder at his first home run.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/the-tragic-final-night-of-jose-fernandezs-life-023645408.html

4245181f5824a30ff78229cda3fed564

Anyone who has been on a boat in Biscayne Bay knows about the jetties at Government Cut. They are huge.

Jose Fernandez owned the boat and was a serious fisherman. There is no way they were just cruising along and hit the jetties accidentally. That would be akin to accidentally driving you car into the Grand Canyon. Actually it would be like accidentally driving your car into the Grand Canyon on a road that you take to work everyday.

Something was terribly wrong on that boat.

This has been one of the toughest athlete deaths I have ever had to endure. It is the first time someone from a team that I truly support year round, whether they are 60-102 or 102-60 I watch every game like it is game 7 of the world series. Jose was truly my favorite player to watch pitch and had the best time it seemed in the dugout.

Just tragic. The game last night and particularly Dee Gordon's first at-bat was uplifting.

Every clip of that HR, from twitter, sportscenter, or the news has just about brought me to tears.

Anyone who has been on a boat in Biscayne Bay knows about the jetties at Government Cut. They are huge.

Jose Fernandez owned the boat and was a serious fisherman. There is no way they were just cruising along and hit the jetties accidentally. That would be akin to accidentally driving you car into the Grand Canyon. Actually it would be like accidentally driving your car into the Grand Canyon on a road that you take to work everyday.

Something was terribly wrong on that boat.

I am not a boater, so I'm certainly no expert, but I saw some quotes in the Miami Herald from local captains saying that stretch can be very tricky at night, as all of the lights from that part of South Beach (both building and car lights) can really screw up your perception of where you are in relation to the shore.

Here's a link to the Dee Gordon video if you haven't seen in. Pretty amazing stuff.

[video]http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17648309[/video]

I am not a boater, so I'm certainly no expert, but I saw some quotes in the Miami Herald from local captains saying that stretch can be very tricky at night, as all of the lights from that part of South Beach (both building and car lights) can really screw up your perception of where you are in relation to the shore.

I dont care where you are or how long you have been boating, you NEVER go full speed at night. Not even close. Even if you know the waters, you never know what could be in them, other boats, debris, etc., this is especially relevant in a large commercial bay. Just really really irresponsible and avoidable.

It has legit taken me up until today to be truly over this, as ridiculous as that sounds lol. I love the Marlins more than 98% of my own family.

Back