• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

I would need to see the All 22 view, but I assume there was a safety on the other side that made the throw even harder than it looked.

It was also a 40-45 yard pass from where Wolford was standing to where Wade caught it.

Of all the things that we can MMQB, that throw is probably almost last on the list in my mind.

just fire it in, wolf

I agree with the poster above that our corners are our achilles heel. And really only one corner. Since both Henderson and Austin have struggled though they have had good moments, I wonder why we haven't given Bassey a shot.

I also think that Henderson has been really good in nickel packages were there is more of a crowd back there. One on one coverage he has struggled. As has Austin. Our defense is so stout up front that it is difficult for good teams to run the field on us without the big plays. Not sure what will happen against a FSU or Clemson or Louisville, but against this level of competition, it seems if you can keep your man in front of you ...

Congratulations on the win. It was thoroughly deserved. In my view, Wake played smart, mature and opportunistic football. IU, OTOH, was wildly erratic with the picks, the penalties and the turnovers on downs.

In IU's first two games, the offense was a run first offense that used an experienced o-line to batter the opponent and let the run game set up the pass. In the Wake game, with IU's two best o-linemen out (seniors RG Feeney and RT Camiel), IU barely even tried to establish the running game and went straight to the pass. Putting the game solely in the hands of a juco QB starting his first game against a power 5 team proved to be asking too much. Lagow has a ton of talent and made some terrific throws but 5 INTs speaks for itself.

This choice by the IU coaches, while ultimately a failure, was understandable because with the two o-linemen out, Wake's d-line was simply the much better unit. They obviously saw on film what was apparent on Saturday and that is that Wake's defensive line is a very good front. Had IU been able to have more offensive balance, and not put so much on Lagow's plate, the result could have been different. In any event, a good win for Wake on the road which I am hoping becomes a great win for Wake by the end of the season.

Of all the things you could criticize Wolford for, if you so choose, I think the touchdown pass to Wade has to be near the bottom of that list. That was a great route, a great catch, and a great throw to put it where Chucky was going to get it or nobody was going to get it.

Lagow has one heck of an arm, but has a tendency to over throw his receivers which seems like it will lead to a lot of tipped interceptions. While some of it is unlucky that they actually get intercepted, if you consistently do it (which Lagow did all game long) then you're going to have a couple bounce the wrong way. The Indiana blog on SBNation seemed to believe, and still does based off of the last two day's worth of tweeting, that those interceptions were just acts of God and Wake was blessed to find the football. The guy that runs that twitter refused to acknowledge at any point that any of the first half's interceptions were on Lagow and only begrudgingly accepted that any of them were on Lagow.

Dude got picked off five times - some of them were assuredly his fault and most of them, in my opinion, were due to where Lagow put the ball height-wise. Two of the picks were the result of solid defense - hit as he threw once and deflected at the line. The former of these two was likely the only one that wasn't predominantly on Lagow.

Congratulations on the win. It was thoroughly deserved. In my view, Wake played smart, mature and opportunistic football. IU, OTOH, was wildly erratic with the picks, the penalties and the turnovers on downs.

In IU's first two games, the offense was a run first offense that used an experienced o-line to batter the opponent and let the run game set up the pass. In the Wake game, with IU's two best o-linemen out (seniors RG Feeney and RT Camiel), IU barely even tried to establish the running game and went straight to the pass. Putting the game solely in the hands of a juco QB starting his first game against a power 5 team proved to be asking too much. Lagow has a ton of talent and made some terrific throws but 5 INTs speaks for itself.

This choice by the IU coaches, while ultimately a failure, was understandable because with the two o-linemen out, Wake's d-line was simply the much better unit. They obviously saw on film what was apparent on Saturday and that is that Wake's defensive line is a very good front. Had IU been able to have more offensive balance, and not put so much on Lagow's plate, the result could have been different. In any event, a good win for Wake on the road which I am hoping becomes a great win for Wake by the end of the season.

Thanks for the comments. Wake earned the win but was very fortunate on how a number of critical plays evolved.

Lagow reminded me of a worse (possibly stupider) Ryan Mallet.

Lagow has one heck of an arm, but has a tendency to over throw his receivers which seems like it will lead to a lot of tipped interceptions. While some of it is unlucky that they actually get intercepted, if you consistently do it (which Lagow did all game long) then you're going to have a couple bounce the wrong way. The Indiana blog on SBNation seemed to believe, and still does based off of the last two day's worth of tweeting, that those interceptions were just acts of God and Wake was blessed to find the football. The guy that runs that twitter refused to acknowledge at any point that any of the first half's interceptions were on Lagow and only begrudgingly accepted that any of them were on Lagow.

Dude got picked off five times - some of them were assuredly his fault and most of them, in my opinion, were due to where Lagow put the ball height-wise. Two of the picks were the result of solid defense - hit as he threw once and deflected at the line. The former of these two was likely the only one that wasn't predominantly on Lagow.

Agree with this. Lagow has the ability to be a big time QB and was a great find by the IU coaching staff but he showed on Saturday that he wasn't yet ready to put the team on his back against quality competition.

Thanks BTB, it's been a pleasure to have you contribute to this board. Best of luck to Indiana the rest of the way, hope both of our teams are bowling this year!

Lagow reminded me of a worse (possibly stupider) Ryan Mallet.

That hurts because it's a fair comparison. Of course, this was only his third game. He has a chance to be damn good if he's able to learn from this.

"It’s interesting to note that the RBs have rarely been tackled for a loss. On Saturday they had zero TFLs on 34 carries."

This is absurdly good news.

I am baffled why Serigne has disappeared from the offense. Makes no sense.

It's a ploy.
We didn't need him against Indiana so we pretended that we don't use him anymore.
This is what the wuffies now think.
Now, Cam will have a big game this Saturday in Raleigh.

"It’s interesting to note that the RBs have rarely been tackled for a loss. On Saturday they had zero TFLs on 34 carries."

This is absurdly good news.

That was a product of the Wake o-line generally winning its battle against the IU d-line. It wasn't domination but your o-line mostly kept Wolford clean and gave the RBs a chance to get moving before being touched.

It's a ploy.
We didn't need him against Indiana so we pretended that we don't use him anymore.
This is what the wuffies now think.
Now, Cam will have a big game this Saturday in Raleigh.

It's one long decoy if that's the case.

He's got 6 catches for 79 yards on the season through four games.

Thanks BTB, it's been a pleasure to have you contribute to this board. Best of luck to Indiana the rest of the way, hope both of our teams are bowling this year!

Thanks. I've enjoyed the discussion. Would have enjoyed it more with a better outcome but I'm strangely encouraged. Coming in to this year, the biggest question was would IU have a QB and while Lagow has a ways to go, he's a ton better than I expected when you consider that we outdueled UNLV and Colorado State for his signature. Is there any doubt that he has NFL size and an NFL arm? Now the question becomes, can he grow and learn from Saturday's wild performance.

Wolford gave some nice quotes to Dan Collins:

Wolford said he remained resolute even after Hinton was proclaimed to be the starter last week against Delaware.

“That’s just how football is — it’s week to week,’’ Wolford said. “People see you throw two picks one game and then ‘This kid’s awful. He’s never going to be good again.’ And you throw five touchdowns the next, and it’s ‘Oh my gosh, he’s going to win the Heisman.’ So as far as outside people looking in, they’re going to judge you based off performances in games. The way I have to look at it and the way this team has to look at it is as a process. Week after week after week, you don’t want to have to care what other people have to say. One of my things is I don’t read the media. I try to avoid that. But the important thing is we win games. It’s about this team.’’

Wolford obviously reads the boards when he loses but not when he wins. Certainly got the "this kid's awful. He's never going to be good" part right from here.

So, Deac94, how do you think will do against State?

I think that other posters on other threads have nailed it. If we limit penalties, make our FG’s and win the turnover battle then we’ll have a good chance. It’s clear that Wake's secondary will give up a few big plays and so we will need to overcome that. I’m not convinced that the offense is going to repeat the six explosive plays that the Hinton/Carney combo generated against Duke. I think Wake will have to play mistake free, but now they’ve proven that they are capable of that.

If I were State’s DC I would seriously consider rushing five more often. I think that our OL has progressed to the point that they can handle four pass rushers most of the time (unless they are very high-end players). I’d look to rattle Wolford who hasn’t looked good this season when he feels some pressure. I’m also not sure that our WRs can beat tight man coverage. I’d be thinking that I could limit Wolford’s passing options. So I’d really look to gamble a bit to get that pressure. Challenge Colburn and Serigne to handle pass protection. I think I’d take some lumps from screen passes etc (all of Wake's RBs look competent catching the football, and Tyler Bell in particular looks like a natural pass catcher) but I’d happily make that trade off.

Back