• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

Congrats to the football team for getting it done on the field. When a team doesn't play their best and can still hang in there and find ways to win (especially on the road), you know that they are well-coached and have learned the teachings of Clawson and his staff very well. Great to see things begin to pay off with all of the groundwork and recruiting hustle we've seen since Clawson took the reins.

The foundation appears to have been made very strong. Let's hope that the rest of the house continues to be so resilient and strong when more adversity comes their way. Go Deacs!!

One stat I looked up, of the 9 punts only two were on 4th and long (8,12). Another was 4th and 5 after a penalty. We were moving the ball even on our shortest drives. The one negative run was from the Victory formation. The OL is creating a good push and we are reaping the rewards of this change. Tulane game was the exception, not the norm (thank God!).

I think that other posters on other threads have nailed it. If we limit penalties, make our FG’s and win the turnover battle then we’ll have a good chance. It’s clear that Wake's secondary will give up a few big plays and so we will need to overcome that. I’m not convinced that the offense is going to repeat the six explosive plays that the Hinton/Carney combo generated against Duke. I think Wake will have to play mistake free, but now they’ve proven that they are capable of that.

If I were State’s DC I would seriously consider rushing five more often. I think that our OL has progressed to the point that they can handle four pass rushers most of the time (unless they are very high-end players). I’d look to rattle Wolford who hasn’t looked good this season when he feels some pressure. I’m also not sure that our WRs can beat tight man coverage. I’d be thinking that I could limit Wolford’s passing options. So I’d really look to gamble a bit to get that pressure. Challenge Colburn and Serigne to handle pass protection. I think I’d take some lumps from screen passes etc (all of Wake's RBs look competent catching the football, and Tyler Bell in particular looks like a natural pass catcher) but I’d happily make that trade off.

Agreed about blitzing. Given our challenges in completing passes to the outer 1/3 of the field, coming with a corner blitz would be effective, I'd think.

Serious question: What are NCSU's strengths? I don't pay attention to them as much as I don't live in the area and have limited ability to pay attention to sports beyond the Deacs (because I have 3 kids under age 6). I believe they have a good RB, yes? QB? Defense? Standouts?

Also, Wake and NCSU are only 4 spots apart in Football Outsiders F/+ rankings currently. -10.5 - No Respect for the Deacs. I hope we come out fired up.

Serious question: What are NCSU's strengths? I don't pay attention to them as much as I don't live in the area and have limited ability to pay attention to sports beyond the Deacs (because I have 3 kids under age 6). I believe they have a good RB, yes? QB? Defense? Standouts?

Matthew Dayes is a solid RB.

They also have Jaylen Samuels and Nyheim Hines that provide good offense along with their So. QB Ryan Finley (61/80 on the year for 714 yards, 6 TDs/0 INTS)

It's a ploy.
We didn't need him against Indiana so we pretended that we don't use him anymore.
This is what the wuffies now think.
Now, Cam will have a big game this Saturday in Raleigh.

#clawsonsandbaggingsowebeatcowcollege :)

Also, Wake and NCSU are only 4 spots apart in Football Outsiders F/+ rankings currently. -10.5 - No Respect for the Deacs. I hope we come out fired up.

State fans think their defensive coordinator is incompetent. Their performance on that side of the ball so far doesn't suggest otherwise. Hopefully they don't fix those problems this week.

Oops, I was responding to your other post.

Matthew Dayes is a solid RB.

They also have Jaylen Samuels and Nyheim Hines that provide good offense along with their So. QB Ryan Finley (61/80 on the year for 714 yards, 6 TDs/0 INTS)

Hard to know about NC State. They played one decent team and lost. That team got wood shedded this weekend. Wake has two road wins against P5 teams. And yet, Wake is a nine point dog. Could be we could just line up and run the ball on them. Hard to say. In addition, State is historically a stupid fucking team. Face mask, late hits, personal fouls is their MO. We can win this game.

Hard to know about NC State. They played one decent team and lost. That team got wood shedded this weekend. Wake has two road wins against P5 teams. And yet, Wake is a nine point dog. Could be we could just line up and run the ball on them. Hard to say. In addition, State is historically a stupid fucking team. Face mask, late hits, personal fouls is their MO. We can win this game.

Well, yeah............it's State.

People need to get off our defensive backs. The Indiana QB slung it a bunch. His completion percentage was average and he sent it to the other team five times. Yes He had some big plays, but on two of them we were just unlucky the way our backs took each other out. These guys defended a bunch of passes and did pretty well. The great news is they got a bunch of work in a real game.

People need to get off our defensive backs. The Indiana QB slung it a bunch. His completion percentage was average and he sent it to the other team five times. Yes He had some big plays, but on two of them we were just unlucky the way our backs took each other out. These guys defended a bunch of passes and did pretty well. The great news is they got a bunch of work in a real game.

mack, we also gave up 332 yds passing to Duke, who had a freshman QB. They too couldn't run the ball but they had success throwing it. Delaware had receivers open who just dropped the pass repeatedly. It's been pretty plain that our CBs can't be confused with lockdown corners by any stretch. But there's a lot they can improve on so hopefully they do.

mack, we also gave up 332 yds passing to Duke, who had a freshman QB. They too couldn't run the ball but they had success throwing it. Delaware had receivers open who just dropped the pass repeatedly. It's been pretty plain that our CBs can't be confused with lockdown corners by any stretch. But there's a lot they can improve on so hopefully they do.

I remember Wake games when we would pass for mega yards and lose every time. It's hard to score in the red zone when you can't run it. The Good news to me is our db's got a major work out before this State game. Who knows what State has. They could be a good team. No way to tell right now.

We gave up 124 yards and two touchdowns on two passing plays. And one of those plays should have been an interception against a prevent-style defense. Obviously that's not good, but we were a couple of plays from a much more respectable showing on defense against a pass happy team that played from behind all day.

Back