• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ivy's Ivory Tower of Academia Not Embracing Diversity

FWIW, my wife's dept just hired (under administrative pressure) this uber-young, unqualified and generally terrible candidate because she's asian. #diversity

Fortunately, at most schools, the tenure process is rigorous as fuck. If she's truly unqualified and terrible, she'll be exposed.

most likely; she was salty because it's a resource and energy/time drain while she finishes up her ramp up to tenure review

most likely; she was salty because it's a resource and energy/time drain while she finishes up her ramp up to tenure review

"she," "she," and "her" being your wife? Yeah, totally. Junior faculty quite frequently bear an undue administrative burden -- being on a hiring committee wouldn't seem a great use of her time.

yeah, my wife. she'll be working alongside this woman and already has been asked to yield lab space and to 'show the ropes'.

That's not a ridiculous thing to ask an almost tenured faculty member to do for a new faculty member.

As an aside, I'm going through applications for an assistant professor position and it's annoying how many people don't fit the areas we're looking for and don't even try to fit them.

That's not a ridiculous thing to ask an almost tenured faculty member to do for a new faculty member.

As an aside, I'm going through applications for an assistant professor position and it's annoying how many people don't fit the areas we're looking for and don't even try to fit them.

seems like conflicting advice is given. schools write broad job descriptions, applicants focus on how hyper-specific their skill set is but schools are looking for candidates who can fulfill multi-purpose roles

That happens in any job/field, especially if you use something like Monster or Craigslist to solicit applications. Maybe 10% of applications are relevant. But people need those jobs so they apply for anything, thanks Obama. Plus, millennials either can't read entire qualification requirements given their minuscule attention span or just assume said requirements don't apply to them.

I moved Ph's question over to this thread from the PC Proliferation thread since the question was about this thread. Keeping one thought, one thread.

awaken, you should respond to the follow up article I posted on that thread.

I'm still not clear on your angle here. Are you actually surprised racism exists?

I am surprised and saddened that it happens in academia. To the extent racism and/or self-segregation is part of the human condition, I am not; but I guess I expected more from academia. Other areas of society could claim a lack of self-awareness or social conscience, but not here. Colleges go to great pains to ensure a diverse student body - it is on the forefront of everyone's thinking there. But to think a professor could potentially leave a meeting on diversity in student admissions and then go interview a minority job candidate with a 180 degree different mindset is just sad and disappointing. It's like watching a math teacher get their sums wrong. They, of all people, should know better and do better. Instead, it's NIMBY.

I guess my "angle" was to get more surprise or outrage. I was surprised how muted the response was. Is this board so partisan that liberal racism gets treated differently than conservative racism? How would the thread been different if the school was Liberty and not an Ivy?

Since I don't work in academia, I was more interested in what others had to say, and I got that. I appreciated your candid replies. Overall, I think you and I may be pretty close on this topic: that if people did the right things the first time, then other solutions such as AA/quotas would not be unnecessary. But if people are going to be racist dicks, then imperfect solutions like AA/quotas are better than the status quo. I'll let you confirm how close we may be.

I asked in the OP, and I don't think I got a direct reply; but I infer that there is no AA in academic hiring? But tons of diversity goals in admissions? No one sees how hypocritical that is on campuses? Of all the faux outrage and demonstrations going on now, they are missing a legit reason like this? smh

Your take on "academia" seems to be a monolithic perspective based on a collective conservative memory of a militant "feminazi" lesbian Marxist professor in that one sociology class you were forced to take.

"Academia" is very broad and made up of people from many different backgrounds and orientations. The majority of academic departments are in disciplines that don't even consider diversity as part of the field. Some social sciences and humanities examine issues of race. STEM departments and Business generally don't. To the extent I know the political leanings of people I work with in STEM, it's probably a 33-33-33 political split. Their opinions on race are probably reflected in the second article: "Many whites want to pretend that we live in a colorblind society. They fail to realize that the playing field has never been level and in fact, African Americans have rarely been asked or allowed to step on the playing field."

You said, "But to think a professor could potentially leave a meeting on diversity in student admissions and then go interview a minority job candidate with a 180 degree different mindset is just sad and disappointing." Faculty have almost nothing to do with undergraduate student admissions. You're talking about administrators at that point. They may or may not have diversity in mind.

As far as affirmative action in faculty hiring, I'm not sure what different states mandate. Affirmative action is simply putting forth the effort to hire faculty regardless of race. That's not going to erase biases among members of hiring committees.

Back