• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama nominates DeLaurentis to be US ambassador to Cuba

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Bold move, Obama.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/obama-nominates-ambassador-to-cuba-in-long-shot-move-228810
President Barack Obama has nominated the top U.S. diplomat currently serving in Cuba, Jeffrey DeLaurentis, to be America's ambassador to the communist-led country.
The move is sure to anger some Republicans in the Senate, which would have to confirm the nominee. In particular, Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida and Ted Cruz of Texas have vowed to block any ambassador nomination for Cuba.

Obama's decision suggests he's willing to take a risk on the issue on his way out of office. The U.S. and Cuba officially restored diplomatic relations in July 2015 after decades of hostility.

On my way there tomorrow. Long past time to restore normal relations and do away with the absurd embargo.

Pretty legit arguments on both sides of this one.

I need to line up a trip to Cuba soon.

f75ac4265c5d6190b336a5df2f17fbde.jpg

The wanted dino got jeffrey tag is the wittiest I have seen in a long, long time.

When am I allowed to go to Cuba solely for leisure/recreation purposes? The Google is coming up empty for me.

On my way there tomorrow. Long past time to restore normal relations and do away with the absurd embargo.

Talked to a friend who was just in Cuba. One of their guides conducted a youth tour of America for Cuban kids this Summer and 14 of the 64 kids defected, most to relatives in America. Restaurants in Cuba are still crappy, but most are somehow funded via American relatives. Watched the debate in a bar and the locals are very anti-Trump. Reading between the lines, the FL Cuban vote isn't in the bag for Trump.

Yeah. My in-laws aren't voting for him but plenty of my wife's friends from home are.

Talked to a friend who was just in Cuba. One of their guides conducted a youth tour of America for Cuban kids this Summer and 14 of the 64 kids defected, most to relatives in America. Restaurants in Cuba are still crappy, but most are somehow funded via American relatives. Watched the debate in a bar and the locals are very anti-Trump. Reading between the lines, the FL Cuban vote isn't in the bag for Trump.

100% of Cubans I've met are anti Trump, That said, many FL Cubans are former Bautista supporters or just anti-Castro, so they likely don't think the same as many here.

Awesome country. Definitely has problems, but almost no crime, extremely friendly, mostly equal in terms of living conditions and the food is way better than anyone admits. I've eaten some of the best seafood of my life here. Pork ribs as well. Just avoid government run restaurants because they're all awful.

100% of Cubans I've met are anti Trump, That said, many FL Cubans are former Bautista supporters or just anti-Castro, so they likely don't think the same as many here.

Awesome country.
Definitely has problems, but almost no crime, extremely friendly, mostly equal in terms of living conditions and the food is way better than anyone admits. I've eaten some of the best seafood of my life here. Pork ribs as well. Just avoid government run restaurants because they're all awful.

Unless you are in jail or your relatives have been jailed or murdered for opposing the Castros. Or you would like to have a car made in the last 40 years. Or have a job paying more than $25 per month. Or really anything else if you live there as opposed to visiting from the US and bringing $$$ with you.

Unless you are in jail or your relatives have been jailed or murdered for opposing the Castros. Or you would like to have a car made in the last 40 years. Or have a job paying more than $25 per month. Or really anything else if you live there as opposed to visiting from the US and bringing $$$ with you.

Yes, as I said, it has major issues; the government stifles dissent and the economy was ruined, just like the government before it and the government before that. It's still an awesome country with a fantastic history, beautiful scenery, incredibly friendly and proud people, etc.

Last edited:
Back