• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Westworld: Season 2 starts 4/22

I think the biggest frustration I have with this show is that it constantly undercuts its own dramatic sequences. Maeve self-sacrifices to save her daughter? Doesn't matter - she's getting revived by the two techs who know her. Bernard aces Delores? Doesn't matter, he changes his mind later and makes a new Delores. Delores aces Bernard? Doesn't matter, she escapes into the real world and makes a new Bernard. And also a new Delores for herself. Maybe she didn't want to be black? Racist.

The most dramatic moment of the show was arguably when the Ghost Nation leader gets shot, but then you realize he made it into robot heaven right before. This season, certainly more than season one, reminded me of the first season of Heroes: revealed this big calamity early on, built to said calamity throughout the season, then got to the season finale and vomited all over itself.

I do like the idea of new Delores and new Bernard duking it out in the real world though. OTOH, I couldn't care less about robot Ed Harris' fidelity tests with his robot daughter.

i don't care about any of it anymore. bye bye westworld!

Just got caught up. This show is a disaster. I think they hired the writers from the final seasons of Lost and Walking Dead. They are trying so hard to be brilliant and have utterly failed. And the action scenes were lifted from the A-Team. Other than that, its great. Can’t wait to not watch season 3.

To be clear, as evidence of how lazy the writers are, take note that every plot twist takes the form of:
- magic ipad controller
- embedded code that a host didn't know about (and at this point Bernard has about 37 different sources of embedded code)
- secret passageways whenever one is needed (and sometimes known about thanks only to "embedded code")
- fail safe / self destructs / critical machinery found throughout the park, also as needed
And should any of the above not be sufficient in lazily advancing the storylines, we'll just allow hosts to start beaming themselves into each other's minds.

Throw in "super macho" security. And people about to die, with a gun to their head, to be miraculously saved when the gunholder is themselves shot, from a hundred yards away, and that my friends is tv excellence.

At this point, we are on about the 10th or 20th iteration of things that could go wrong which Ford anticipated and built into code. He was a seriously fore-sighting mother fucker.

I also really enjoy the sheer indifference that the real humans have had while amongst the dozens and dozens of human corpses. No horror or revulsion, just plenty of time to make witty and snarky comments as they walk past splattered human brains.

jason isbell's #1 fan critizing the intellectual depth of a media project is just super rich, is all

everything is "just" a plot device if you're too dense to appreciate the context, yes

that was probably unfair, and westworld for sure has its faults, but I defs don't get bumping a month old thread just to tell a bunch of strangers you're not going to continue watching a TV show. like, congrats?

that was probably unfair, and westworld for sure has its faults, but I defs don't get bumping a month old thread just to tell a bunch of strangers you're not going to continue watching a TV show. like, congrats?

Thought it was relevant as (1) i was a huge fan of the show season 1 and (2) i had contributed on this thread before. Apologies for not being able to comment real time.

Re: Isbell, i’ll bite. Educate me, give 3 or 4 current songwriters that are intellectually superior to him.

Re: Isbell, i’ll bite. Educate me, give 3 or 4 current songwriters that are intellectually superior to him.

Just from other performers at Newport Folk this weekend:

St. Vincent
Courtney Barnett
Jenny Lewis
Phoebe Bridgers

This season had problems for sure, but the Shogun World and Ake episodes were just incredible television.

thanks for chiming in. like, congrats!

Very weak season 2. No relatable characters, no narrative thrust, unclear motivations, difficult to understand. But any show that can frame a closing scene around the song Codex without slowing down movement and still have it resonate has the potential to be awesome again.

I can't think of a show that I have ever wanted to like more than Westworld.

Thought Season 2 was going somewhere after a few episodes. There were a couple of individual episodes and storylines that I really enjoyed. But yeah, it is just difficult to enjoy.

Could, however, just be that I'm a simpleton. There is a greater than zero chance of that.

Or maybe I am just a host... Programmed to want to love it, but predestined to be disappointed. Shit, that's deep.

BTTT as we're one week away from the Season 3 Finale. I've enjoyed this season.

Back