• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Westworld: Season 2 starts 4/22

My wife cleared this up for me (to a degree). There is rarely anyone playing the piano... It is usually just playing by itself. In the scene with Ford, she thought it was Ford sitting and playing the piano (I agree). He is playing something unusual for the setting. When he leaves, he switches it back to the normal Western-style with it playing on its own.

Could definitely have been Ford. I didn't catch the music, so I was just going to go back and look at the sleeves. The music makes more sense. Still think there is something, perhaps relatively insignificant, going on with that piano and who plays it.

I still dont understand why I am supposed to give a shit. Even with the new 'MAZE' layer -- what does that add? "Incredibly bored rich geriatric finally solves robot theme park after trying for 30 years!" great.

I think what this show is missing that would give it levity is more insight into the real world. It would make the motivations of the guest more palpable and give some context for everyone else that works at the park. Maybe they are waiting for the S2 finale or something to reveal "OMG WE ARE ON MARS"

I tend to disagree with you on the "why should we give a shit?"... There are plenty of bigger themes going on here, in addition to a lot of interesting characters. I think you could say "why should we give a shit?" to pretty much every TV show... The subject matter is either something that interests you, or it isn't.

I do agree that some insight into the real world might be helpful/interesting... Though I don't think that is an issue to be dealt with this season, given all that is going on already. It might be worth getting into over the next few seasons, though.

I think the whole thing is interesting when you look at it in terms of simulation theory. As Elon Musk said a while back, there is a good chance that our entire "reality" is actually a giant simulation created by a more sophisticated intelligence. Westworld could be viewed as that type of thing on a much smaller scale.

Do we know for sure that this is planned for multiple seasons? I guess the almighty dollar will dictate, but I guess I kind of had it in my head that this would be a one-off, maybe due to the heavy hitter cast, although that doesn't really make sense.

I was thinking along the same lines as TAB for a bit until I asked exactly what DeacsATS asked -- why do I care about any TV/movie, is it because the actors acting are faking real life rather than faking being robots? I don't know. I'm digging the show, though, and think there's more to it than rich person's playground and rich people trying to find themselves.

ETA - Also, fuck it, even if it is rich people trying to find themselves in a rich people's playground, it looks great, has boobs, the great American actor Ed Harris, and is exciting, so I'm down.

Last edited:
Yeah but you have to have stakes. We are like 6 eps in and there are still no stakes. The people in LOST wanted to get off the island. The people in walking dead want to not get eaten. Khalessi and Tyrion want the Iron Throne and to survive.

An interesting show presents characters with motivations that the audience attaches to, and then that audience wants to see people achieve their goals and avoid peril. No one in this show has goals or real peril.

So far all we gots are "the shareholders are upset bc you are effing with the AI" and "Ed Harris wants to beat a secret mission before he is forced into adult diapers and can no longer ride robot horses"

Yeah but you have to have stakes. We are like 6 eps in and there are still no stakes. The people in LOST wanted to get off the island. The people in walking dead want to not get eaten. Khalessi and Tyrion want the Iron Throne and to survive.

An interesting show presents characters with motivations that the audience attaches to, and then that audience wants to see people achieve their goals and avoid peril. No one in this show has goals or real peril.

So far all we gots are "the shareholders are upset bc you are effing with the AI" and "Ed Harris wants to beat a secret mission before he is forced into adult diapers and can no longer ride robot horses"

"What do you think management's real interests are? Smart enough to guess there's a bigger picture, but not smart enough to see what it is. You know how much use that makes your support to me? Fuck all."

My biggest fear with any show like this is that it will go off the rails like Lost did. For the time being though, I trust that it will deliver. I was really hoping they'd have a mid-season, big reveal that would help clarify some of the motives, but I'm not all that bummed that they didn't. Until they decide to let us in on the major plot theme, I'm enjoying all of the little easter-eggs that the internet can dissect and analyze. If they can pull it off, then having a mystery that could actually be solved through on screen clues, this day and age, would be pretty damn impressive. Not to mention the insanely relevant philosophical aspects. For me, this show has a lot more going for it than a simple A -> B plot. So I'm not going to hammer it for that.

How they handle the seemingly inevitable reveal of the 30 year gap may say a lot about how the show will round out. If they treat it like the reveal in season 1 of Mr. Robot, where they seemingly knew that most people would have figured it out by that point, so they didn't really harp on it, then I think it will speak volumes as to the planned depths of the show. However, if they decide that the audience will be appeased with just that reveal, then they may be in trouble since so many have figured it out. Hopefully, they build a world and plot, like Mr. Robot, where it's just a complimentary "oh cool" moment.

Last edited:
Is one of the main points towards different timelines the ability of the robots to tackle, punch and beat the shit out of you in the man in the white hate timeline? Does that happen in the man in the black hat scenes?

But right now we don't really know how the two storylines are connected other than both involve Delores so....I imagine the 30 year gap reveal will tell us a lot more than just its existence. It almost has to at this point, doesn't it? That's when the show could go off the rails. If the motives are the big reveal, then how do they move the storyline forward once they are known and keep the same suspense? Although the focus could shift from Delores to Maeve. At this point she's not in the earlier timeline.

No doubt it was Ford playing the piano..and he's playing Claire De Lune.

I get what you are saying and I acknowledge that they way they are unfolding the story requires a certain faith that we'll get important information as we go along... But I think it's getting better and better every episode as we figure out more of what is happening.

It is funny to me that you mentioned The Walking Dead. I realize it was likely just a throwaway because it fit the point you were making, but that is an example of a show that I have quit multiple times because I didn't connect with any of the characters. I had no idea why I was supposed to care. After a few episodes, I got into the comics and really enjoyed them. The comic books did a much better job with the characters than the show has. The premise of The Walking Dead interests me enough that when things get slow on TV, I eventually catch up, but the execution has been miserable since day 1.

Oh, and I meant to mention "The Night Of...", which I think we both watched. To me, that was a show with a very strong start that pretty much got worse every episode. I watched until the end because it wasn't much of a commitment, and because I liked a few of the actors. But that would be an example of a show where we immediately know the stakes, but the storytelling meanders around so much over the course of the season that the resolution ends up being highly forgettable.

Agree on walking dead and Night Of. I never got into WD and Night Of was a supreme disappointment.

I agree that WW is getting slightly better, but for all the $$ they are pumping into it, it has yet to deliver.

Not only are their no stakes, but the show is also completely humorless, like you would think that a theme park about killing and fucking anything you want would have some jokes that write themselves, but these writers dont seem to get that. Tyrion can crack jokes with an army at the gates and these guest are paying $40K a day to have FUN and they are grim AF.

Is one of the main points towards different timelines the ability of the robots to tackle, punch and beat the shit out of you in the man in the white hate timeline? Does that happen in the man in the black hat scenes?

If not this then I think it may just show how much more "intense" things get the further out of the main town you go.

The park has a different logo in William and Logan's storyline, which supports the theory that they are 30 years in the past:

wwTActj.png
vs. the present day logo:
ZALS5WM.png

William/Logan's logo is connected to Ford's flashback when he's talking about Arnold:

stSn1rm.png

The man in the white hat also got shot in his timeline, it just didn't do any permanent damage. I think in the "later" timeline they don't even hit you.

Westworld (Sundays on HBO)

Great stuff totally confused.

Thought this week was another solid episode. The question of "Who/What is Arnold?" is becoming the central focus of the show (along w/ whatever the board is trying to do).

The updated Teddy is certainly a darker character with a more checkered backstory.

Anthony Hopkins continues to be awesome in every way.

Even the Maeve stuff got more interesting.

I noticed that in the current timeline, Ed Harris got decked by the androids as well, so I guess the same principle applies as did 30 years prior where the further you get from town, the crazier it gets.

Back