• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C. State Game Review / Syracuse Game Week Thread

I'm just reporting what I saw in actual games. Neal can run; whether he gets the space to do it against us I don't know.

That's fine. Your eye test is actually backed up, as he has a very impressive Highlight Yards per Opportunity of 9.9, but the line hardly ever blocks for him it seems (17.6% opportunity rate).

Seems that their O-Line is pretty poor across the board. Going up against a rush defense as stout as ours is not going to be good for them either. I expect they will throw early and often. Whether or not we can tighten up in coverage and force turnovers will be the difference as to whether or not this goes the IU or State way.

Their rushing game is one of the worst in the country.

I think you probably mean they're rushing for one of the fewest ypg in the country. Whether their rushing attack is bad or not really depends on their scheme and what little I've seen they throw it around the lot, so I could see them not having a ton of rushing yards. Yards per attempt would probably be a more relevant statistic given their scheme.

Moe Neal has 131 yards rushing in 5 games. He is averaging 3.9 ypc , and 26 yards a game. 68 of his yards came against FCS Colgate. Neal had a 49 yard run in that game. Other than his FCS game, Neal has a total of 63 yards rushing in 4 games, and is averaging about 2.5 ypc. Against ND, Neal had 3 carries for 3 yards.

Any chance of high winds from the hurricane on Saturday night? Could have a huge impact on their passing game if so.

Wait I thought ppl were saying they were just pass happy?

The 3:30 FSU news has to be a big boost to our guys' confidence after such a flat weekend. National media saying that they think we're a worthy national tv audience showcase, and against a (struggling) powerhouse, at that.

Our game against FSU last year was on national TV, too

Moe Neal has 131 yards rushing in 5 games. He is averaging 3.9 ypc , and 26 yards a game. 68 of his yards came against FCS Colgate. Neal had a 49 yard run in that game. Other than his FCS game, Neal has a total of 63 yards rushing in 4 games, and is averaging about 2.5 ypc. Against ND, Neal had 3 carries for 3 yards.

You went to some trouble just to post contrary data about Neal. I doubt any of us have followed the status of Syr RBs this year, but they have some interesting rushing stats.

Neal was the leading rusher in Syr's first two games, rushing for 68 yds with a long of 49 v. Colgate, and 40 yds with a long of 16 v. L'ville. Against L'ville, Syr had at least 4 runs of 10+ yds with 121 yds total.

After L'ville Neal was never again the leading rusher, and Dontae Strickland ran for 127 yds with a long of 19 v. S.Fl., and the team had 199 yds total.

Against UConn, Syr only had 62 yds total for the game, while against ND they had 126 yds with at least 3 runs of 10+ yds.

The whole point I was making is that while Syracuse is most dangerous through the air, they are capable of some good running, with Neal having a few long runs and the longest run for Syr this season so far. I personally was impressed by his 49-ydr which was extraordinary for his first carry, along with several other less impressive carries subsequently. Syracuse usually runs a balanced offense so rushing isn't negligible for them. I would expect Syracuse to try to exploit our secondary as other teams do successfully and hit us with opportune runs opened up by the pass.

It could be a repeat of VT in '14 or BC in '15 if Matthew comes a call'n.

I think you probably mean they're rushing for one of the fewest ypg in the country. Whether their rushing attack is bad or not really depends on their scheme and what little I've seen they throw it around the lot, so I could see them not having a ton of rushing yards. Yards per attempt would probably be a more relevant statistic given their scheme.

They aren't good by any metric.

Per Football Study Hall:

Rushing S&P+ : 124th

Rushing Success Rate : 123rd

Rushing IsoPP : 71st

Adj. Line Yards: 118th

Opportunity Rate: 126th

Power Success Rate: 72nd

Stuff Rate: 76th

The only thing they may be worse at than running the football is stopping the run. They are really bad at that too:

Rushing S&P+ : 107th

Rushing Success Rate : 110th

Rushing IsoPP : 109th

Adj. Line Yards: 90th

Opportunity Rate: 96th

Power Success Rate: 108th

Stuff Rate: 79th

If it rains that is a large advantage for us.

How many have we lost to Syracuse in a row? 4 or 5?

2015 - L
2014 - L
2013 - L
2011 - L
2006 - W

That's the entire series history.

"Since 2006" is the answer to a lot of questions.

If Wolford can lead us to victory in this game, then he will have done his part holding down the starting job for Hinton in spades. That would get us 5-2 at the break with a week off for Army.

If Wolford can lead us to victory in this game, then he will have done his part holding down the starting job for Hinton in spades. That would get us 5-2 at the break with a week off for Army.

I'm not writing the FSU loss in permanent ink. They should certainly beat us but if Hinton is back we may have a fighting chance.

It would be helpful if they win this weekend. Don't want them super pissed off (off) the back of an 0-3 start to conference play.

But either way I can't see us slowing down their O. Win this weekend and give ourselves plenty of time to secure win #6

Back