• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Five College Basketball Programs That Have Fallen Off Sharply

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-college-basketball-programs-that-arent-what-they-used-to-be/

CBS Sports article, we made the list. The author likes Danny Manning but thinks Wake does not really have a place in the ACC as presently constituted. Thoughts?

8d5RdCR.jpg

Ron Wellman picked the absolute worst time possible time to make what should've been a career ending hire, with the league expanding and bringing in some quality programs. The magnitude of the setback to our program caused by Bzzz's tenure is something that would've been hard to overcome in the old ACC, even harder now in the new ACC.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-college-basketball-programs-that-arent-what-they-used-to-be/

CBS Sports article, we made the list. The author likes Danny Manning but thinks Wake does not really have a place in the ACC as presently constituted. Thoughts?

The author didn't say that WF "does not really have a place in the ACC". He did say that other programs have gotten stronger, and the ACC added traditional powers L'ville and Cuse, and as a result, it's harder to win at WF than it was under Prosser and Odom. True statements, but there was no dire statement that WF doesn't belong.

That was an interesting article especially the part about St John's building dorms and thereby players losing a living stipend that they got. Also, not sure why the author used quotation marks around "sudden massive heart attack" when describing Prosser's death- I thought that was a little strange but maybe an english major can help me with that one.

Also, not sure why the author used quotation marks around "sudden massive heart attack" when describing Prosser's death- I thought that was a little strange but maybe an english major can help me with that one.

Sounds like you're looking for a different kind of doctor.

We've averaged 12.5 wins a season over the last 6 years. Plus, no post-season play in that stretch.

Fallen off sharply sounds about right.

We've averaged 12.5 wins a season over the last 6 years. Plus, no post-season play in that stretch.

Fallen off sharply sounds about right.

That's putting it mildly, fallen off a cliff, crashed and blew up after hitting the rocks is more like it.

Blaming it on Wellman and [Redacted], so typical of you short-sighted, moronic people. Wake Forest can not compete in the expanded, money hungry ACC and if people would just realize that and the school would move to the Southern Conference that still cares about the student athlete, than I would start going to games again.

That was an interesting article especially the part about St John's building dorms and thereby players losing a living stipend that they got. Also, not sure why the author used quotation marks around "sudden massive heart attack" when describing Prosser's death- I thought that was a little strange but maybe an english major can help me with that one.
Maybe it's a Tupac-like conspiracy and some believe Prosser is living it up in Ireland somewhere

The guy is an idiot. He states that Tony Bennett has built Virginia into an ACC powerhouse and in the same paragraph questions whether even a good coach can break through in Winston-Salem. Ridiculous. If it can be done at UVA, it can be done at Wake.

Keep getting commitments from top 50 talent and we wiil magically be good again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The guy is an idiot. He states that Tony Bennett has built Virginia into an ACC powerhouse and in the same paragraph questions whether even a good coach can break through in Winston-Salem. Ridiculous. If it can be done at UVA, it can be done at Wake.

Exactly.

Other than St. John's not being able to pay players, there's no problem at the schools listed that cannot be solved with the right coaching hire.

Yep, we're going to be good again. :)

I don't think his premise is that flawed but he isn't looking into the future. K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim and Larranaga are all getting older and will be retiring in the next few years. I disagree about ND being a powerhouse, and it remains to be seen whether Buzz Williams can take a program to an elite level. Most of us knew Danny Manning would need some time to grow into the job a bit, and with last year's start and the Chaundee Brown commitment he's showing signs of doing that. In a way, we could be perfectly positioned to step up into the void when those older coaches move out of the picture.

Now, that said, there was no reason why we needed to drop off to the extent that we did in the first place. That's 90% on Wellman and Co.

Back