• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

047e51106d2ec4316a5ecba580e74fed.jpg
this guy/gal was hanging out in the parking lot of the gym today. What say you birdman? I am thinking either redtail or sharp shinned hawk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

047e51106d2ec4316a5ecba580e74fed.jpg
this guy/gal was hanging out in the parking lot of the gym today. What say you birdman? I am thinking either redtail or sharp shinned hawk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think that is a red tailed hawk out hunting for cats. Could be a juvenile broad wing, depends on the size.

Cats are the worst birds are cool. Except peep that own birds are the only pet owners worse than cat peep. Weird right?

Volcanoes National Park announced today that the have completed the construction of a 5 mile long cat proof fence to protect endangered, nesting 'Ua'u (Hawaiian Petrel) from feral cats high up on Mona Loa. Feral Cats are the #1 threat to 'Ua'u popualtion viability so the park and the USFWS teamed up to install this fence (http://khon2.com/2016/10/24/new-5-m...tects-endangered-hawaiian-birds-on-mauna-loa/). I looked at a similar project in Oahu at a wildlife refuge that installed ~600 meters of fencing to project nesting albatross from cats at it cost $446 per meter. If the Mona Loa fence cost the same (which it probably didn't because logistics in Mona Loa are much more difficult) that would equate to about $3.5 million to install this fence, not including fence maintenance.

Anyway, here is a pretty picture of an 'Ua'u, so called by the Hawaiian's because of the calls they make as they fly to and from the breeding colonies high up on the rock mountain tops in the Hawaiian Islands.

Hawaiian_Petrel_Jim_Denny_688.jpg

So they're building a wall to keep out the cats, eh? Along a border of some sort perhaps?

Why not just hunt the fucking cats ?

They just keep coming. Plus PETA type folks get mad when you kill cats, so we instead have to manufacture really expensive and complicated alternative solutions.

Would be cheaper and more humane to implement a spay and neuter program for the cats.

Would be cheaper and more humane to implement a spay and neuter program for the cats.

It wouldn't be cheaper. And cats aren't humans. We kill thousands of them daily. And keeping them alive wouldn't do anything to protect the birds.

It wouldn't be cheaper. And cats aren't humans. We kill thousands of them daily. And keeping them alive wouldn't do anything to protect the birds.

$4 million to build a fence can pay for a ton of traps and spaying and neutering- and you can relocate the cats. It will certainly cut down on the number of birds being killed and will cut down on the number of feral cats. Birds aren't humans either. We probably kill hundreds of thousands if not millions of birds daily. Doesn't make it right. Anyway, those cats are just trying to survive as best they can.

It is also completely ineffective at controlling feral cat populations unless you trap 100% of the animals, and even if you do, in an open population context (i.e. Immigration and emigration exist; all cat populations are open) trap neuter release efforts are ineffective. #science

Saw another Loggerhead shrike and maybe some Palm Warblers.

$4 million to build a fence can pay for a ton of traps and spaying and neutering- and you can relocate the cats. It will certainly cut down on the number of birds being killed and will cut down on the number of feral cats. Birds aren't humans either. We probably kill hundreds of thousands if not millions of birds daily. Doesn't make it right. Anyway, those cats are just trying to survive as best they can.

Relocate to cat oven.

Back