• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

I knew it was just a matter of time before the truth would be revealed and the cat hate would come out. That's how these bird people are.

I knew it was just a matter of time before the truth would be revealed and the cat hate would come out. That's how these bird people are.

Just a reminder, Biff is a self proclaimed bird hater (on this very thread) and he is the only one calling for large scale cat euthanizia programs.

Man I was really hoping BSF would shit all over another thread. Dreams do come true!

Lanai has a cat sanctuary to keep the cats from killing birds.

My cat told the psychic he wanted to go somewhere and hunt birds so Volcanoes National Park it is!

It is also completely ineffective at controlling feral cat populations unless you trap 100% of the animals, and even if you do, in an open population context (i.e. Immigration and emigration exist; all cat populations are open) trap neuter release efforts are ineffective. #science

So cats can immigrate and emigrate on the Hawaiian Islands?

Man I was really hoping BSF would shit all over another thread. Dreams do come true!

Cjd7LMfWEAIGqw6.jpg

So cats can immigrate and emigrate on the Hawaiian Islands?

Excess cats from Hilo immigrate to Volcanoes National Park, its only 15 or 20 miles away. Unless you are suggesting we can catch, spay and neuter all the cats on the entire island of Hawaii. That would cost more than the fence and probably wouldn't work anyway.

Reactions: ITK
Fledgling Carolina Wrens roosted in my car port last week, 4 nights in a row.

m6LJLBk.png

Last edited:
Excess cats from Hilo immigrate to Volcanoes National Park, its only 15 or 20 miles away. Unless you are suggesting we can catch, spay and neuter all the cats on the entire island of Hawaii. That would cost more than the fence and probably wouldn't work anyway.

That would cost less than $4 million dollars and its a fucking island so its kind of easy to close the borders. I'd argue with your definition of immigrate as well.

Fledgling Carolina Wrens roared in my car port last week, 4 nights in a row.

m6LJLBk.png

I saw a Great Blue Heron Sunday. Very majestic. And some black ducks with green heads.

That would cost less than $4 million dollars and its a fucking island so its kind of easy to close the borders. I'd argue with your definition of immigrate as well.

"Feral cats are the offspring of lost or abandoned pet cats who are not spayed or neutered and are estimated to number between 500,000 and a million on the Big Island."
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Mar/24/br/hawaii80324016.html

What would you estimate it would cost to catch spay and nueter 500000 cats?

I estimate over $200,000 in have-a-heart cat traps with one trap for every square mile. So add on the man to deploy the traps and check them once every 24 hours until every single cat is caught (which is unlikely). But set all that aside and think about the vet bills. Vet and medication bills to to do the surgeries is about $150 per cat in Alabama, but lets say you get a nice vet to do it on the cheap for $100 (anesthetics aren't free)...oh geez, you're looking at $50,000,000 just in vet bills for the low end of the estimated number of cats. You'd have to get your surgeries down to <$8 a pop to be less expensive than the fence.

Anyway I think I am done talking about cats in the bird thread. I don't hate, I have two cats that I love. I just think for sake of wildlife people should keep their cats indoors, and that we have have some difficult decisions to make regarding the management of feral cat populations. In most places feral cats don't really matter that much, but in places like Hawaii, where all the native bird species are endangered, in part because of exotic animals like house cats, we have some tough and expensive decisions to make. I posted the fencing story because I thought it was a really nice effort to protect the birds with minimal negative impact on the cats. It is an expensive fence, but at least we don't have to kill hundreds of felines.

I saw a Great Blue Heron Sunday. Very majestic. And some black ducks with green heads.

Black ducks with green heads? Were they wild or on a golf course or park? Could be Black Duck x Mallard hybrids.

Black ducks with green heads? Were they wild or on a golf course or park? Could be Black Duck x Mallard hybrids.

In a park. I wish I had gotten a picture, they were so cool.

I would call that brown. These guys were like jet black.

I would call that brown. These guys were like jet black.

Serious question: is jet darker than pitch ???

"How much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Back