• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Spotted a little birdie of some sort checking out my birdhouse this morning. Now I feel bad because I pulled a little twig out of it last week, thinking it had just gotten in there somehow, but it was probably from a nesting bird! I had a nest in there in the spring, with a handful of little babies. Should I empty the birdhouse after occupants move on? Or leave whatever is in there, in there?

Spotted a little birdie of some sort checking out my birdhouse this morning. Now I feel bad because I pulled a little twig out of it last week, thinking it had just gotten in there somehow, but it was probably from a nesting bird! I had a nest in there in the spring, with a handful of little babies. Should I empty the birdhouse after occupants move on? Or leave whatever is in there, in there?

I've heard that emptying it out is best. It helps reduce fleas and feather lice from year to year. The baby birds do better when the best contents are cleaned out regularly.

It depends on where you live, but I doubt a bird is currently nesting in the box. They are probably just keeping an eye on it to keep out any would be box stealers.

Saw a juvenile bald eagle, >120 American Coots, and 7 Common Loons today.

Bird:" 'Uhm Hello, this is the Ono family."
Bird: "What's wrong?"
Owner: "Abe-chan, you're a little too early. Once the phone's picked up, then properly say hello."
Bird: "Okay, understood."
Owner: "Do you really understand? I'm counting on you. Hello, this is the Ono family residence in Gifu."
Bird: "Okay, I understand!"
Owner: "Got it."

Bird:" 'Uhm Hello, this is the Ono family."
Bird: "What's wrong?"
Owner: "Abe-chan, you're a little too early. Once the phone's picked up, then properly say hello."
Bird: "Okay, understood."
Owner: "Do you really understand? I'm counting on you. Hello, this is the Ono family residence in Gifu."
Bird: "Okay, I understand!"
Owner: "Got it."

That is a Myna. Smart birds, not crow or parrot smart, but pretty smart.

Barred Owl flew across the road last evening right at twilight. It is always a privledge to see a wild owl.

I agree. They really are the best bird.

Besides Big Bird, of course.

I have to admit that I sometimes feel like this lady. Never quite this emotional but then again I've never been to West Paupau to see a bird of paradise. Seeing the Sandhill Crane migration in Nebraska was a bit like this; seeing my first (and only) spotted owl in Oregon; it's a bit silly because it turns out they were all over the place in Scotland, but seeing my first European Oystercatcher was pretty special.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1346865892013630&id=118883634811868&_rdr

Bird bird bird, bird is the word, BA BA BA bird, bird bird bird is the word

Have y'all heard that song? I'd imagine it's big in the bird world. It's a p good song. Check it out if you haven't heard it before.

Husky Deac posted a video of a quetzel and claimed that they are "Annoying things. I have to keep chasing them away and the hummingbirds away from my terrace."
b0e3b0289b05a66b991a48b747f90fb2.png

Just beautiful!

It's cool that you bird people can look at something like that and it still takes your breath away.

Husky Deac posted a video of a quetzel and claimed that they are "Annoying things. I have to keep chasing them away and the hummingbirds away from my terrace."
b0e3b0289b05a66b991a48b747f90fb2.png

Just beautiful!

Damn, husky gets no sympathy from me. I only ever seen on quetzal and it was a female in a tree hanging over the parking lot near the entrance to the monteverde biological reserve. She was beautiful but also anticlimactic.

It's cool that you bird people can look at something like that and it still takes your breath away.

Try to image sitting in a blind on the banks of the Platte river, sipping a beer at sunset and watching over 500,000 4.5 foot tall sandhill cranes coming home to roost. If seeing it in real life doesn't take your breath away to have a cold dead heart.

th_cranes-spooked-jamie-vesay-wm2x-trd-img_6850-version-2.jpg

Back