• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Probably juvenile anhinga:

66028941-480px.jpg

Probably juvenile anhinga:

66028941-480px.jpg

That is possible. I also tried to look up some pictures and they could have been double crested cormorants?? Most pictures they appear more uniformly black but I also found some where they appeared more brown up top...

edit: I think they were probably anhingas - the sharp change in coloration from black to brown was definitely present... I have never heard of those birds before.

That is possible. I also tried to look up some pictures and they could have been double crested cormorants?? Most pictures they appear more uniformly black but I also found some where they appeared more brown up top...

edit: I think they were probably anhingas - the sharp change in coloration from black to brown was definitely present... I have never heard of those birds before.

Juvenile cormorants are also possible. But they are more uniformly brown all over. Sometimes their heads look browner than the rest of their body because they dry faster (ie the feathers look darker when wet).

@birdman

We are in thermopolis wyoming and hiking to check out petroglyphs nearby. There were a bunch of birds living in circular domes on the cliff wall. Are those cliff swallows?

Very similar but were hanging under, and sandwiched all around each other, an overhanging rock ledge.

Nice. They were fun to watch. Wife was getting bitten by a lot of biting flies or something so we had to keep moving.

@birdman

Last day in Wyoming. We stopped at Sacagawea's gravesite. There was a bird with largely black feathers but the wing tips were white. Looked to be all business.

Also, saw four bald eagles (two a matting pair) along the snake river.

@birdman

Last day in Wyoming. We stopped at Sacagawea's gravesite. There was a bird with largely black feathers but the wing tips were white. Looked to be all business.

Also, saw four bald eagles (two a matting pair) along the snake river.

Maybe a black vulture?
Black-vulture-American.jpg

I think it is pretty freakin great that when I was a kid Bald Eagles were very rare and I didn't see my first wild one until I was 19 on a trip to Florida, now they are literally everywhere.

Big red-tailed hawk was on the ground today 50 feet off of the 7th green, in the shade of a tree, tearing apart and eating what was left of a rabbit it had apparently caught. I missed the green near it and walked all around the bird, probably within 6 feet of it, and it just looked at me and kept eating. He/she looked at me like "don't even think about it, bro".

Maybe a black vulture?
Black-vulture-American.jpg

I think it is pretty freakin great that when I was a kid Bald Eagles were very rare and I didn't see my first wild one until I was 19 on a trip to Florida, now they are literally everywhere.

Don't think so. Smaller. More... delicate.

Back