• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

A buddy of mine just had a post on facebook welcoming the white-throated sparrow to NC from Canada as a sign of the fall. I thought this thread would appreciate it.

White-throated%2520Sparrow%2520r30-1-035_l_1.jpg

Theres all these badass Mexican orange ducks and white egret(?) things in a pond behind my house and I took the boy to feed them bread but they are wild ass ducks that don't understand humans so they won't get close to eat the bread. Nature man. Fuckin a.

I was riding my bike and narrowly missed a mockingbird swoop. Those things are fucking killers. There was one on campus that was notorious for dive-bombing peeps, and I almost got scalped one night walking uptown many moons ago.

That Cuckoo made it all the way to Somalia last week. The trip from south central India to 300km inland in Somalia amounted to about a 3700km nonstop flight. The bird was caught in July in a wetland park in Beijing, China. Bird migration is fucking amazing.

skybomb-as-at-31-october-2016.jpg

That Cuckoo made it all the way to Somalia last week. The trip from south central India to 300km inland in Somalia amounted to about a 3700km nonstop flight. The bird was caught in July in a wetland park in Beijing, China. Bird migration is fucking amazing.

skybomb-as-at-31-october-2016.jpg

This disproves Continental Drift too !

Sparrows are the worst birds.

There are dozens of species of sparrows in North America, the whole Emberizidae family are considered "sparrows" though some are called Juncos or Towhee. My favorite are Lincoln's Sparrows. I am gonna be you are specifically talking about House Sparrows, which are common in McDonald's parking lots and were introduced from the UK in the 1850's. So, they are an invasive species, but some recent genetics analysis concluded that they have now undergone enough evolution (genetic drift) to be considered a distinct species from their ancestors in Europe.

house-sparrow-id-male.jpg

Satin Bower Bird Mating Display:

Grabbing her by the cloaca might be more effective.

At one time the research I was doing in the Galapagos was related to extravagant display specifically because I was enraptured by the idea of bowerbird courtship.

At one time the research I was doing in the Galapagos was related to extravagant display specifically because I was enraptured by the idea of bowerbird courtship.

Extravagant booby displays are the best.

sky-pointing.jpg

Back