• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Hey birdman, we have a bluejay that sits on our doors off our back porch and just stares in at us all the time. Also, sometimes when we open the door to let the dogs out, it flies into the house and we have to catch it in a blanket to get it out again. Is it possibly a reincarnated dead relative trying to come visit, or more likely just a harbinger of doom? Either way, he’s kind of an asshole for a bluejay.

I don’t think a blue jay is a harbinger of doom, that’s crows, cormorants and albatross. So most likely it’s a dead relative trying to come visit.

Why do birds poop in a bird bath when it's also their drinking water?

Birdman are owls not nocturnal? Why they going crazy during the day right now?

Some owls sleep so soundly during the day you can pick them up mess with them and they don't wake up.

They cut down the meadow they've been a growin' at the end of the Reynolda property for some time.

What's that about? All of them birds and critters now displaced!

Birdman are owls not nocturnal? Why they going crazy during the day right now?

Larger Owls, like Barreds or great horneds will call during the day but it would be extremely rare to see them flying around or hunting. Barred owls are the most vocal during the day in my experience.

There were an inordinate amount of seagulls at my local lake the other day, birdman. Should I be concerned that they're lost?

There were an inordinate amount of seagulls at my local lake the other day, birdman. Should I be concerned that they're lost?

Nah, they are migrating.

"Seagulls" is a misnomer by the way, many species of Gulls are interior birds, like there are huge numbers of California Gulls and nest in the Dakotas, Montana, etc. on lakes and wetlands.

Nah, they are migrating.

"Seagulls" is a misnomer by the way, many species of Gulls are interior birds, like there are huge numbers of California Gulls and nest in the Dakotas, Montana, etc. on lakes and wetlands.

If they are migrating, why are there always seagulls on the beach regardless of what time of year I visit?

I watched a big red-tailed hawk spend 10 minutes in a squirrel's nest in my back yard. Seemed to be throwing all the leaves out and tearing it up. The mama (presumably) squirrel kept approaching but was scared of the hawk. The hawk eventually flew away and I didn't get a great look but I believe it had a baby squirrel in its talons. Circle of life, man, circle of life.

WILDLIFE in my yard recently:

1-C849-FB9-4401-4-FF8-9-BD6-154-EB1018-E02.jpg

A18-AB441-D73-D-463-F-A237-4-EF61-B16556-F.jpg

9-C7-DFC95-5-B65-4-C24-9-F20-E85-FD51967-F9.png

Back