• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

I think they are fairly common, but this is the first time we have had a rose breasted Grosbeak in our yard.
626abcccf2609d5b6eea9b5cf372d830.jpg

a7e82681d4f4a75cc7367bfcde3651bc.jpg

Nice! Great birds. I am not sure where you live but for most of the south and central US they are just passage migrants. So, while there are a lot of them, they fly from Central America to Canada and back again, only spending a couple weeks in the spring and fall passing through the south and central US.

Last edited:
Happy World Migratory Bird Day everybody.

Yes! Who went birding? What did you see/hear?

My highlights were a solitary sandpiper, wood thrush, swainson’s thrush, scarlet tanager, and a few Magnolia warblers (saw them yesterday).

Today I was grilling at around 10 am a couple of huge London broils and we got a little light rain…opened up my umbrella that covers my grill. Hadn’t opened it for maybe a couple of months.

On the underside was a sleeping tiny bat. Took it maybe 20 minutes to wake up and fly away.

Not a bird, of course. But pretty cool to see.

The Faro stork builds huge nests on buildings all over southern Portugal like the one seen below. What's really freaky is when you see about a dozen of those nests built on an electrical tower, which makes it look like something out of Wicker man.

7c4ec5bc52842cca36ebef62d8ccdf13.jpg

‘Bird names for birds’ has been a movement in ornithology for about 3 years now. It really picked up steam a year or so ago when the crazy white lady called the cops on a Black birder in Central Park as the challenges that black people face in life that white people have never had to deal with were made glaringly obvious. Many birders want to find ways to make birding more open and welcoming to black people.

There was also an incident where the American Ornithological Society released the minutes from their naming committee meeting where in the members were mock the proposed name changes to a Hawaiian bird called the Maui Parrot Bill to the Maui Kiwikiu. The transcripts indicated that the members were laughing and saying things like “how do you even pronounce that?” It really offended a lot of people that they mocked a name derived from the largely extinct indigenous language of the place where the bird Is endemic. So the bird names for birds movement picked up more supporters.

Hang in there birdman. Keep up the good work. Keep bird watching free from bad thoughts. We can all be thankful, and Church Lady will certainly be pleased.

Hang in there birdman. Keep up the good work. Keep bird watching free from bad thoughts. We can all be thankful, and Church Lady will certainly be pleased.

Your second sentence is what bird watching is all about. No bad thoughts, just bird thoughts.

I think a raccoon or deer is getting into our humming bird feeder. It is frequently empty and our shepherds hook keeps getting knocked down. I am guessing a raccoon because a deer would also smash/eat the hostas.

We have a mother robin that has made a nest and laid 4 eggs in our wreath by the front door. One of the eggs was broken on our porch the other day. I think this either due to our neighbor's cat, or the black snake I saw by the porch a couple days prior. Thoughts @birdman? Fortunately, the other three eggs remain, and are the cool classic shade of blue.

I think a raccoon or deer is getting into our humming bird feeder. It is frequently empty and our shepherds hook keeps getting knocked down. I am guessing a raccoon because a deer would also smash/eat the hostas.

Raccoons will definitely mess with hummingbird feeders. I had to invent a way to deter them.

Good luck.

Lol

The feeders are mounted on an inclined metal rod attached by a swiveling mechanism approximately 20 feet up a brick column whut is part of our deck. I can swing it towards the deck to access the feeders and towards the screened in porch for viewing the beautiful birds feeding.

The raccoon deterrent is simply some pvc pipe big enough to fit loosely over the metal rod. I cut it into pieces and painted them black to match the rod. They can’t get a grip on or grasp the rod and climb out to the feeders anymore.

Lol

The feeders are mounted on an inclined metal rod attached by a swiveling mechanism approximately 20 feet up a brick column whut is part of our deck. I can swing it towards the deck to access the feeders and towards the screened in porch for viewing the beautiful birds feeding.

The raccoon deterrent is simply some pvc pipe big enough to fit loosely over the metal rod. I cut it into pieces and painted them black to match the rod. They can’t get a grip on or grasp the rod and climb out to the feeders anymore.

That gives me some ideas. thanks!

Back