• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

64b790bd4822073dd99c69cd73f548f5.jpg

Lots of birds in Costa Rica. Big birds, little birds, loud birds, hummingbirds. Didn't expect to see much this morning as it was pissing down rain but 10 minutes later we found an avocado tree with 3 males and 4 females.

Last edited:
Lots of birds in Costa Rica. Big birds, little birds, loud birds, hummingbirds. Didn't expect to see much this morning as it was pissing down rain but 10 minutes later we found an avocado tree with 3 males and 4 females.

Can't wait to see all your pics, but if you keep rubbing it in, you might have to sleep in the playroom.

This is a Steller's Sea Eagle, probably the most badass bird I've ever seen.
TuvVWTb.gif

This species is classified as vulnerable by the IUCN. They are legally protected, being classified as a National Treasure in Japan and mostly occurring in protected areas in Russia. However, many threats to their survival persist. These mainly include habitat alteration, industrial pollution, and overfishing, which in turn decrease their prey source. The current population is estimated at 5,000 and decreasing.[1] It was observed that recent heavy flooding, which may have been an effect of global climate change, caused almost complete nesting failure for the eagles nesting in Russian rivers due to completely hampering the ability of the parents to capture the fish essential to their nestlings' survival.[31] Persecution of the bird in Russia continues, due to its habit of stealing furbearers from trappers.[5] Due to a lack of other accessible prey in some areas, increasingly, eagles on Hokkaido have moved inland and scavenged on sika deer carcasses left by hunters, exposing them to a risk of lead poisoning through ingestion of lead shot.

It took about 10 minutes of throwing rocks at these Scarlet Macaw to get them to piss off. They were scaring off the vultures.

I hit the black mandible toucan first shot. No time for video.

Last edited:
It took about 10 minutes of throwing rocks at these Scarlet Macaw to get them to piss off. They were scaring off the vultures.

I hit the black mandible toucan first shot. No time for video.

S is officially going to be told that Uncle Husky really wants him to wake him up first thing.

Am I right that we couldn't clone it because DNA breaks down after 6-7 million years or so and this specimen is 99 million years old?

Sorry, I'm not a geneticist. I have no idea what the longevity of DNA molecules is. I do think diapsids (birds, lizards, crocodilians and dinosaurs) are quite difficult to clone because of the mechanics of their eggs. Sealed in side a membrane, inside a shell, you'd have to implant the fertilized embryo inside a gravid female and get her to implant the embryo into an egg. Lots of steps and potential for error at each one.

Saw this on Reddit. Can one of you bird people make these happen over here?

NqofyDs.jpg

Back