• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

We've got a merlin that has taken up residence in the woods behind my house. That noisy son of a bitch won't shut up.

There’s been a bit of an uproar in the ornithology community about this. The “evidence” is super fucking weak. Check out the figures at the end of the paper: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.06.487399v1.full.pdf

Here is one that they claim is clear evidence:
bdcbdb5cffe8aeac9e96078207755e5b.jpg

Clearly, Sasquatch is blocking our view of the bird.

Feral cat hangs out in my Dad's neighborhood. This morning g she caught a mole and left it on his back porch. A hawk? landed in a big tree in the far end of the ard, spotted it, moved to a much closer tree, then to the house roof, swooped down, grabbed the dead mole and took it to the top of a nearby power pole and ate it.

ETA: I'll post pic of bird later.

Last edited:
Here is my awful through the binoculars picture of a whooping crane yesterday:

92c840226c10cdeb5cd9974e1b257fd6.jpg

I understand from 60 Minutes tonight that “Birds are Not Real”.
WTF is that all about and do we concur?

Saw a ton of cool birds last week down in the SC low-country from HHI--> Beaufort --> Charleston. Tons of Blue Herons, Egrets, Sandpipers, Pelicans. There's a Yellow Crowned Night Heron rookery at Battery Park in Charleston, and those things are awesome. At Hunting Island State Park we saw what I thought was a massive Golden Eagle, but upon checking, I'm not sure they have those there. Probably an Osprey I guess (saw a bunch), though it was pretty deep in the woods. We saw one massive stork/crane looking bird flying across the road in a marshy area in between Beaufort and Charleston, and I have no clue what it was.

Saw a ton of cool birds last week down in the SC low-country from HHI--> Beaufort --> Charleston. Tons of Blue Herons, Egrets, Sandpipers, Pelicans. There's a Yellow Crowned Night Heron rookery at Battery Park in Charleston, and those things are awesome. At Hunting Island State Park we saw what I thought was a massive Golden Eagle, but upon checking, I'm not sure they have those there. Probably an Osprey I guess (saw a bunch), though it was pretty deep in the woods. We saw one massive stork/crane looking bird flying across the road in a marshy area in between Beaufort and Charleston, and I have no clue what it was.

Awesome! it's a great time of year for wading birds in costal Carolina.

Your Golden Eagle was probably a juvenile Bald Eagle, which are brown all over until about 5 years of age (I think).

I am going to guess your stork/crane thing was a woodstork, mostly white, with black/grey (naked) heads and jet black flight feathers on the wing.

Lots of folks don't realize that there are maybe a dozen different species of sandpipers that pass through the Atlantic Coast in May, all moving from South America to Arctic Canada (i.e., the Islands north and west of Greenland) for the breeding season. There are Sanderlings, Semi-palmated sandpipers, Red Knots (the BEST!), Ruddy Turn Stones, Short-billed Dowitchers, least Sandpipers, Dunlin, Black Bellied Plovers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, plus a few Phaloropes, white-rumped sandpipiers, Solitary sandpipers. Shorebirds are my favorite.

Awesome! it's a great time of year for wading birds in costal Carolina.

Your Golden Eagle was probably a juvenile Bald Eagle, which are brown all over until about 5 years of age (I think).

I am going to guess your stork/crane thing was a woodstork, mostly white, with black/grey (naked) heads and jet black flight feathers on the wing.

Lots of folks don't realize that there are maybe a dozen different species of sandpipers that pass through the Atlantic Coast in May, all moving from South America to Arctic Canada (i.e., the Islands north and west of Greenland) for the breeding season. There are Sanderlings, Semi-palmated sandpipers, Red Knots (the BEST!), Ruddy Turn Stones, Short-billed Dowitchers, least Sandpipers, Dunlin, Black Bellied Plovers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, plus a few Phaloropes, white-rumped sandpipiers, Solitary sandpipers. Shorebirds are my favorite.

Ah, I considered Bald Eagle as well, as they have them apparently. V cool. And your woodstork description sounds dead on. I thought some of the little beach guys were plovers but have no clue - they flew in flocks, dived low to the water some, and were fast AF.

These little guys are right next to the water spigot outside. The mother does not appreciate me turning the water off and on. I can only imagine the scare two weeks ago when I was trimming those same hedges.

c58a5d3d97a001d616d86b7b5fa0e6a5.jpg

These little guys are right next to the water spigot outside. The mother does not appreciate me turning the water off and on. I can only imagine the scare two weeks ago when I was trimming those same hedges.

c58a5d3d97a001d616d86b7b5fa0e6a5.jpg

Look like Robins...? They'll be out of the nest in about 12-14 days. If possible, avoid disturbing them (e.g., by turning on and off the water) days 10-14.

Steller's Jays are way cooler than Blue Jays. Saw a bunch on hike last night.

Pretty much all Jays are better than Blue Jays, except maybe brown jays.

Exhibit A, Green Jay:
Photo-2_Inca-Green-Jay_Sue-Bishop-Shutterstock.jpg

Exhibit B, White throated Magpie Jay:
large_White_Throated_Magpie_Jay_21_Facts_You_Won_t_Believe_8bd30288ce.jpg

I was on a the golf course in Mt. Pleasant yesterday and saw some birds in a tree over a small body of water - they were different than birds I had seen before. I wasn't that close to them but they appeared to be pretty large - probably standing over a foot tall. They were mostly black but brown from the shoulders up. It was hard to tell what kind of beaks they had - looked a little like a beak a cormorant might have? I assumed they were fishing-type birds because they were over the water but that might have been a rash assumption.
That same pond has a ton of beautiful white egrets.

Back