• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

I mean, technically they're named Branta canadensis and the common name is what it is. There's a Canada Warbler as well and I think a Canada pine...
Unfortunately this doesn't point us towards a solution because "canadensis" is a third declension adjective -- it would translate literally to "Canadian".

At least I think so because binomial nomenclature necessarily uses nonsense 18th century Latin. In other words, "Canada" is not the preferred nomenclature (Donny).

Unfortunately this doesn't point us towards a solution because "canadensis" is a third declension adjective -- it would translate literally to "Canadian".

At least I think so because binomial nomenclature necessarily uses nonsense 18th century Latin. In other words, "Canada" is not the preferred nomenclature (Donny).

In English, yes, but Linnaeus was Swedish. I think that the Swedish common name is kanadagås not kanadensisk gås
Does that help?

These hoes chase bread, aw damn, she got a bird brain
Ain't nothin' but trill in me, aw man, silly me
I just bought a crib, three stories, that bitch a trilogy

House finches singing at the gas station just now. Singing birds make filling up slightly more pleasant.

In English, yes, but Linnaeus was Swedish. I think that the Swedish common name is kanadagås not kanadensisk gås
Does that help?

Unfortunately, not at all, because Linnaeus doesn't seem to have been in the practice of determining common names. However, you're the expert here, not me.

On the other hand, there is in fact one area where I might help. It took me a bit to track down because my library has apparently lost this particular edition (the first with birds?) though it remains catalogued, but here -- at last! -- are the pages in question from Linnaeus' tenth edition of the Systema naturae per regna tria naturae from 1758 -- I have the full def. pictures too, if you are for some strange reason interested :

11w6hk7.png

2hd07eg.png

1znptoo.png

(detail from the recto)

Here we find that Linnaeus has surprisingly (at least to me) classified the animal as, I think, a duck -- "Anser". "canadensis" is still, here, a third declension adjective, so technically as a toponym it would be "of Canada", but most often translated into English as "Canadian." Someone with better Latin than me can surely correct me here, if I'm wrong.

So, in conclusion (or better, in confusion), if we're using Linnaeus as our authority (as Chic seemed to suggest with her Swedish common name point), we'd best go with "Duck of Canada".

But in all seriousness, "Canada Goose" seems to have been in print only a couple of decades after Linnaeus' tenth edition, so it's not like this was a particularly active controversy.

2ch6hom.png

So, my actual professional opinion as a historian of not-birds (unlike birdman and chicbird) is that it seems that the Common Names of animals are in no way derived from literal translations of their Latin names. We just call them whatever catches on.

I'd welcome any corrections here from the bird docs or the classicists.

Bird Thread 1: Birds Only Do It In the Butt !

Unfortunately, not at all, because Linnaeus doesn't seem to have been in the practice of determining common names. However, you're the expert here, not me.

On the other hand, there is in fact one area where I might help. It took me a bit to track down because my library has apparently lost this particular edition (the first with birds?) though it remains catalogued, but here -- at last! -- are the pages in question from Linnaeus' tenth edition of the Systema naturae per regna tria naturae from 1758 -- I have the full def. pictures too, if you are for some strange reason interested :

11w6hk7.png

2hd07eg.png

1znptoo.png

(detail from the recto)

Here we find that Linnaeus has surprisingly (at least to me) classified the animal as, I think, a duck -- "Anser". "canadensis" is still, here, a third declension adjective, so technically as a toponym it would be "of Canada", but most often translated into English as "Canadian." Someone with better Latin than me can surely correct me here, if I'm wrong.

So, in conclusion (or better, in confusion), if we're using Linnaeus as our authority (as Chic seemed to suggest with her Swedish common name point), we'd best go with "Duck of Canada".

But in all seriousness, "Canada Goose" seems to have been in print only a couple of decades after Linnaeus' tenth edition, so it's not like this was a particularly active controversy.

2ch6hom.png

So, my actual professional opinion as a historian of not-birds (unlike birdman and chicbird) is that it seems that the Common Names of animals are in no way derived from literal translations of their Latin names. We just call them whatever catches on.

I'd welcome any corrections here from the bird docs or the classicists.

Common names of organisms are not reliable ways to talk about them at all.

for example: Armadillidium vulgare are called pill bugs, roly polys, potato bugs, pill woodlice, doodle bugs and carpenters.

That's why I said at the beginning of the discussion that the birds in question are technically named Branta canadensis

Bird Thread 1: Birds Only Do It In the Butt !

Nah, a more thorough understanding of phylogenetic relationships has changed scientific names, the name is Branta, no matter what it started as.

Ugh, birdman is way more fun.

Today: great blue heron, double crested cormorant, forester's tern (audible), belted kingfisher, pileated woodpecker, red headed woodpecker, Carolina wren, tufted titmouse, northern mocking bird, house finch, turkey vulture, black vulture. Descent list for a day of sailing.

We're going hiking today, I will report with my list. But I love kingfishers, they are close to making my top 10.

Pine warbler, goldfinch, tufted titmouse, black vulture, Turkey vulture, northern mockingbird, red tailed hawk, not a great birding day, though I actually saw the warbler, when usually I just hear them.

I drove from Alabama to NC today. Saw some American Crows, blue jays, turkey vultures, a red tailed hawk, a broad wing hawk, starlings, pigeons a mourning doves. Birding at 75 mph is fun.

Last edited:
What bird is heard at the beginning of this song? Also, is it a different bird call at the 2:15 mark?

Back