• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

I usually hate chimney swifts for about one month out of the year.

And I’m pretty sure Canada Geese would commit mass genocide if they had organizational capabilities and opposable thumbs.

I usually hate chimney swifts for about one month out of the year.

And I’m pretty sure Canada Geese would commit mass genocide if they had organizational capabilities and opposable thumbs.

They are ready to take on all comers. I had one come at my car because I was driving on a parking lot and the pair had nested on the edge of the stormwater collection pond for that lot. He went after any car that drove too close to the nest. I made sure not to walk in his chosen territory.

Wisdom, the >= 69 year old waved albatross in Hawaii, has returned to the breeding colony again! She was banded in the 1950’s by Chandler Robbins who died a few years ago at age 98. She is the oldest known banded bird:

16dddf9a2a64885d047a2af99c913aa9.jpg

Just watched a video of a great blue heron swallowing a baby alligator whole.

Yo Bird, a barnacle goose was sighted in DC on Saturday for the first time in recorded history

Yo Bird, a barnacle goose was sighted in DC on Saturday for the first time in recorded history

Go see it, man! I’ve only ever seen them in the UK.

This actually happens every once in a while. A common cuckoo a bird that breeds in Europe and winters in Africa showed up Connecticut this fall. A western Harrier, an African hawk was seen three winters in a row in Puerto Rico. Barnacle geese breed on the north coast of Greenland so it’s not really all that crazy that it ended up on the US Atlantic coast.

birdman, are we ever gonna be able to bring back the passenger pigeon?

edit: https://reviverestore.org/about-the-passenger-pigeon/

Full disclosure, I didn't read that whole thing. But I have seen conference presentations on this subject and I have formed an opinion. I don't think we will ever see a stable wild population of passenger pigeons, though they may be able to do this in a zoo or aviary somewhere. Simply, the of ecological conditions that made this viable are gone. Yes hunting ultimately drove them extinct, but the ecosystem upon which they relied was under massive modification over decades and the species was already vulnerable and stressed when the hunting pressure put them over the edge. In order to restore this species to the wild, we'd need to do continental scale ecological restoration and I don't believe that humanity has the will to pull that off.

Saw a FB post recently where emergency transport was needed for an injured bird from a first drop in Charlotte to a hospital in western NC. As it so happens, I was going that exact route later that day so I gladly volunteered. Told them I had a truck for a large cage and was happy to help. Figured I would be moving an eagle, falcon, owl or something cool and was looking forward to the adventure. Good karma sure to come my way. Mid afternoon someone shows up at my office with a shoe box. There was a common sparrow with a broken wing. Never like to see an animal suffer and I’m glad it has surgery scheduled for the next day but never would have imagined so much time, money and energy being directed at an injured sparrow. However, seems lots of people donate to animal rescue and rehab non-profits and there really was an expert veterinarian surgeon standing by for the delivery. Not convinced I got any good karma out of it, either, but would do it again.

Saw a FB post recently where emergency transport was needed for an injured bird from a first drop in Charlotte to a hospital in western NC. As it so happens, I was going that exact route later that day so I gladly volunteered. Told them I had a truck for a large cage and was happy to help. Figured I would be moving an eagle, falcon, owl or something cool and was looking forward to the adventure. Good karma sure to come my way. Mid afternoon someone shows up at my office with a shoe box. There was a common sparrow with a broken wing. Never like to see an animal suffer and I’m glad it has surgery scheduled for the next day but never would have imagined so much time, money and energy being directed at an injured sparrow. However, seems lots of people donate to animal rescue and rehab non-profits and there really was an expert veterinarian surgeon standing by for the delivery. Not convinced I got any good karma out of it, either, but would do it again.

Did the veterinarian have to send away for some special really tiny instruments from El Paso?

Back