• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Birding in a nutshell.

Birdman, can I get an ID? Saw this guy on my afternoon walk in the foothills just outside Denver.

59d2403738d90debeb9b210c0095c481.jpg

Birds have the coolest names to begin with, but that one is particularly tops.

I saw a great horned owl last night! Had a massive wing span; had to have been close to 5 or 6 feet. It swooped down in front of my car and landed on a power line in my neighborhood. Will they eat cats? I'm wondering what it might have been hunting in the neighborhood.

I saw a great horned owl last night! Had a massive wing span; had to have been close to 5 or 6 feet. It swooped down in front of my car and landed on a power line in my neighborhood. Will they eat cats? I'm wondering what it might have been hunting in the neighborhood.

Yes they will eat cats, but they also eat rabbits, raccoons, opossum, small dogs, foxes, other owls, herons, egrets, and a host of other things. Great Horned owls are seriously bad ass.

Yes they will eat cats, but they also eat rabbits, raccoons, opossum, small dogs, foxes, other owls, herons, egrets, and a host of other things. Great Horned owls are seriously bad ass.

Ah, rabbits. Of course - tons of those around. I did see a fox a few months ago - it crossed the street in front of me. I pulled over to stare at the bird for a few moments because I was just in awe of its size and majesty.

Oh, we’ve thought about that.

It’d be tough to do without them knowing, thus creating an even more escalated stress, probably.

So we just try largely ineffective deterrents.

But if’n I could cajole a big ol’ owl into helping out...

For comparison to a few other recent posts, I saw a yellow crowned night heron this morning.

0cd661f5490d17512f8b85c353a2ba9e.jpg

Yes, that is a barred owl. It could be a juvenile, those look like fluffy feathers on the head.

Back