• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

I watched some birds in Kenya that choose their partner based on their nest making. One big tree with 80 birds making nests to compete with each other. Fascinating.

IMPORTANT:

'One in a million' yellow cardinal spotted in Alabama

just look at this majestic motherfucker:

yellow-cardinal-ff9f15f27294cf3a.jpg

Birdman, and other bird lovers, have you been to NW Washington? I was just up driving from Tacoma to Aberdeen, up to Forks and then Port Angeles. Found out about the Lower Elwha Dam removal. Very cool story if you don't know about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwha_Ecosystem_Restoration

Actually got to go out on some of the beaches that have formed from the sediment. The tribe said they have almost 80 new acres of land. Anyways, saw a bunch of bald eagles at the mouth of the river.

Then came the eco-activism of the 1980s, when a 24-year-old Earth First! acolyte took a bucket of paint up to Glines Canyon one night and painted a giant fake crack on the dam, complete with fissures that spread like tree roots on the 210-foot concrete face, and the words “ELWHA BE FREE.” People looked, but nothing happened.

Sorry for the size. There was a note in the Tribe's museum with sentiment from an elder that remembered when the graffiti went up and at the time, no one at the Tribe thought the dam would ever come down.

1393385489.jpg

I guess I could have put this in a different science related thread, but wanted to share with you all.

Birdman, and other bird lovers, have you been to NW Washington? I was just up driving from Tacoma to Aberdeen, up to Forks and then Port Angeles. Found out about the Lower Elwha Dam removal. Very cool story if you don't know about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwha_Ecosystem_Restoration

Actually got to go out on some of the beaches that have formed from the sediment. The tribe said they have almost 80 new acres of land. Anyways, saw a bunch of bald eagles at the mouth of the river.

Sorry for the size. There was a note in the Tribe's museum with sentiment from an elder that remembered when the graffiti went up and at the time, no one at the Tribe thought the dam would ever come down.

I guess I could have put this in a different science related thread, but wanted to share with you all.

Thanks for posting, I've never been to Washington State. I spent some time in Oregon working for the Klamath Bird Observatory many years ago, but I never made it up to Washington. I used to have an Earth First sticker on my car, back in my radical Nader-ite days, in part because of the influence of Prof. Ralph Black introducing me to Edward's Abbeys' writing in his American Lit class at Wake, but my boss in Oregon advised me to take off the car or my tires would probably get slashed. While I am certainly in favor alternative low carbon electricity production, massive dams like this are nothing but trouble, fish and wildlife populations would all be better off with out them and coastal cities would be better protected if the natural siltation processes were allowed to operate. Places like New Orleans would be much better protected from storm surges if all the silt and sand trapped behind all the dams and dikes on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers was allowed to flow freely down stream.

Migrant birds are coming back in droves these days. I saw a Northern Parula Warbler, Barn Swallows, and heard white eyed vireos today.

NorthernParula.jpg

I saw a great crested flycatcher yesterday afternoon. It probably flew at least 1200km from the Yucatan to get up to central Alabama. These guys weight about 35gm on average.

GrCrFlycatcher%20Marlene%20Cashen.jpg

(not my photo)

My fiancee saw a killdeer faking a wing injury.

Not her video, but it apparently looked much like this.

I set up a trail camera in my back yard at our little goldfish pond because the fish keep disappearing and I got this photo on the first night.

25925cf411b49d33d4154ea214d18f86.jpg

What's the optimal way to learn birds on sight? Is there a bird Shazam app?

Back