• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

BoringFineBarbet-size_restricted.gif

https://gfycat.com/boringfinebarbet

Wisdom, a Laysan Albatross and the world’s oldest known wild bird, has returned to the Midway Island breeding colony and laid an egg. She was first banded as an adult breeding bird in the 1950s which means that she is at least 68 years old.

http://usfwspacific.tumblr.com/post/180809288495/worlds-oldest-wild-bird-returns-to-midway

60 Minutes aired a segment on Midway last night - no new news but soul-crushingly depressing how plastics are just killing the planet

60 Minutes aired a segment on Midway last night - no new news but soul-crushingly depressing how plastics are just killing the planet

It’s awful. This photo came up on my FB feed today. Some one captured the moment when a parent was feeding a chick and could see the plastic.

fbd04ae4b82ca4bccf4ed61c68f5c659.jpg

well, on the bright side, China is no longer accepting our plastics to "recycle", so we are instead shipping them to Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, and other countries

wait that's not the bright side

This is so annoying to me. I recently heard a European Robin singing in the background of an episode of the West Wing, a scene at Camp David in Maryland, and a Chiff Chaff (a European warbler) sining in the background of the first episode Dogs which took place in Indiana. I would totally take a job as a bird song consultant for Hollywood.

I've always found myself to be a big fan of the Blue Footed Booby. I know what you are thinking, every red blooded american loves a good booby, but some guys are buttonquail guys. Some dudes want nothing more than to stare at a large Black Rumped Buttonquail. I caught one guy at work starring at a Barred Buttonquail on his computer, I think HR had something to say about that. Even I can agree though, that when you find a Buttonquail that is of the Hottentot variety, that is really something. However, as I have gotten older, I have been known to appreciate a Buff-breasted Buttonquail.

Really glad I could get this all off my chest.

Birdman, when are you coming out to see the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. It's one of the last protected areas on the southern part of the west coast. You might be able to charge it off as a business trip. :)

Birdman, when are you coming out to see the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. It's one of the last protected areas on the southern part of the west coast. You might be able to charge it off as a business trip. :)

I was in Manhattan beach for work just last month. Saw some Anna’s hummingbirds, semi-palmated plovers, a Western willet and great horned owl, but I was indoors all day teaching a class on ecological statistics so I didn’t have much time for birding. I didn’t know about the Bolsa Chica wetlands but I’ll check it out on my next trip out there.

I went birding on Sunday morning rather than watch the deacs game. In an hour an a half I saw 34 species and I almost saw more bird species than the deacs scored points. Hermit Thrush was my highlight.

What bathroom does this bird use?

Today at a park near my house I saw robins alternately hopping around feeding on the ground and fleeing to the leafless trees.

One odd one had a white head.

Pretty fascinating, I don’t remember seeing that before.

Similar to this photo from the internet—supposed to be partial albinism.

39266.jpg

Last edited:
Back