• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Here's a bird question.

According to one of the major bird identification books, I have two catbirds hanging around the yard. According to the book, they are "shy" and avoid people. These two (especially one) are anything but shy.

Last week one sitting on the window sill looking into the house. In the spring, when rototilling the garden, one flits from one end to the other, looking for goodies in the freshly turned earth, never mind the noise from the rototiller. He? also comes and hangs out many times when someone is weeding the garden or otherwise around. And he gets close. Maybe 10 feet away.

Did I mis-identify this soloid gray bird? Or did this particular individual simply fail to read the book and is enjoying lots of goodies by being not so shy?

Here's a bird question.

According to one of the major bird identification books, I have two catbirds hanging around the yard. According to the book, they are "shy" and avoid people. These two (especially one) are anything but shy.

Last week one sitting on the window sill looking into the house. In the spring, when rototilling the garden, one flits from one end to the other, looking for goodies in the freshly turned earth, never mind the noise from the rototiller. He? also comes and hangs out many times when someone is weeding the garden or otherwise around. And he gets close. Maybe 10 feet away.

Did I mis-identify this soloid gray bird? Or did this particular individual simply fail to read the book and is enjoying lots of goodies by being not so shy?

In my personal experience cat birds are not shy at all. Once, while I was camping in the FL panhandle, a cat bird went into my car looking for food and it would not leave. I suspect the book is referring to their tendency to perch in very inconspicuous places when singing. They are usually deep in a thicket and very hard to see while singing noisily away, rapidly mimic all manner of other birds.

I was playing golf the other day and a huge, full-grown bald eagle was just chilling on the ground next to a lake. As I neared he flew away - looking majestic as hell. I had heard there was a nest nearby but this was my first sighting.

Been seeing a ton of hawks lately. Have seen 3-4 on the golf course, one with a large black snake in its talons. Eventually he subdued it/killed it and was able to fly it up into a tree. Also saw one on the side of the road the other day that made me sad. Figured it tried to snag some roadkill and got drilled.

Which bird identification app is best?

I've used iNaturalist for things before, but rarely. They do all sorts of things, though: plants, mushrooms, spiders, birds. I don't know how legit it is, I think it crowdsources the inquiry.

Which bird identification app is best?

I've heard iBird pro is great. Merlin Bird ID is pretty good for beginners. I've got Audubon mainly because it is free. To be honest, I don't really use birding apps, because I'm pretty good at bird id already.

We’ve camped in the Pisgah national forest a bunch and enjoyed catbirds singing in the brush around our campsite and hopping around the periphery of the clearing and occasionally into the campsite. They haven’t seemed particularly bold but definitely not shy.

This does not seem good. Birdman? Is it the windmills?

Birds are vanishing from North America

https://nyti.ms/30rhs3G

safe_image.php

I've witnessed a kookaburra swoop in and steal sausage from a grill. So badass.

Oh, and they LAUGH.

Also, sorry birdman, I think my computer auto-capitalized that “B” earlier.

Whimbrel tagged with a satellite tracker in Northern Alaska flew all the way to Brazil, >7000 miles:

We've had an osprey take up residence on one of the decent size golf course ponds recently. Saw him swoop in and crush some sort of sunfish like 30 feet from me on Sunday. Very cool. Only problem is he seems to have scared the family of like 7 herons away that had lived there for a couple years. Also had one resident egret on another pond for a few months, but I'm assuming he flew somewhere closer to the ocean. Golf course nature is neat, even in cities.

Back