• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

The resident hawk was making a meal out of chickadees today. This little woodpecker was not going to move until it left. This led to my wife trying to chase the hawk away. Watching her run in the yard to chase a hawk makes me laugh every time.
58c8a9ce21aa6b7160d790e80964786e.jpg

That looks like a Hairy Woodpecker by the way: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hairy_Woodpecker/id

The other possibility would be a Downy Woodpecker, but the bill looks too big.

Fantasy Birding Is Real, And It's Spectacularhttps://deadspin.com/fantasy-birding-is-real-and-its-spectacular-1833374916

Participants in the main game compete to record the most species in the American Birding Association “area,” functionally the United States and Canada. The difference is that fantasy birders don’t have to spot the species themselves. Using eBird, a citizen-science database run by Cornell University where birders log their sightings, players select single locations on a map each day, and get credit for a bird if a real-life birder spots that species within a 10-kilometer radius that day. There’s also a global game for intrepid fantasy players hoping to spot birds around the world.

I saw a bunch of geese in Boston last week, picking in the snow. They seemed somewhat confused.

First episode of a new web series produced by the Audubon Society called Birds of North American.

Maybe I should put it on the awesome maps thread, but here are the annual migration tracks of a single Whimbrel named "Hope". She had a satellite transmitter attached a few years back on the coast of Georgia and scientists tracked her from 2009-2012. Whimbels are less than a pound in weight and this bird flew a minimum of 14,700 kilometers round trip from St. Croix to the Canadain arctic each year. In 2012, after being tracked for 4 years and over 58000 miles the battery on her GPS transmitter failed. As Far as I can tell she was last seen in the winter of 2015 in St. Croix.

Maybe I should put it on the awesome maps thread, but here are the annual migration tracks of a single Whimbrel named "Hope". She had a satellite transmitter attached a few years back on the coast of Georgia and scientists tracked her from 2009-2012. Whimbels are less than a pound in weight and this bird flew a minimum of 14,700 kilometers round trip from St. Croix to the Canadain arctic each year. In 2012, after being tracked for 4 years and over 58000 miles the battery on her GPS transmitter failed. As Far as I can tell she was last seen in the winter of 2015 in St. Croix.

Summers in Alaska, and winters in St. Croix, talk about being a snowbird!

(I'll put myself in timeout for that one)

Bird, my grand-niece is going to Costa Rica in June. I got her a book about the birds and animals she could see on her NatGeo trip. Are there any rare ones to look out for?

Bird, my grand-niece is going to Costa Rica in June. I got her a book about the birds and animals she could see on her NatGeo trip. Are there any rare ones to look out for?

Oh man, I saw 163 species on my last trip to Costa Rica in August. It really depends on where she goes in the country. Up in the mountains, especially Monteverde, she should try to find Quetzals and three wattled bell birds. If she goes to Arenal, she should look for Umbrella birds and three species of toucans, if she goes to the pacific lowlands and Paloverde National park she should look for Jabiru in the rice fields outside the park. If she goes to the south, near corcovada national park she might see scarlet Macaws. There are so many awesome birds.

Back