• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

That is a partially leucistic (or albino) crow. I can’t tell if it’s a fish crow or an American Crow without hearing the call.

Yo Bird, need your expertise on the pet peeve thread. It's Canada Goose/Geese, not Canadian Goose/Geese, right?

Yo Bird, need your expertise on the pet peeve thread. It's Canada Goose/Geese, not Canadian Goose/Geese, right?

I am assuming Canada Goose because that is the name of the jacket company that has completely taken over Chicago. Everyone and their mother has these $1000 coats that are apparently very warm but not very attractive, IMO. They must be killing/plucking a boatload of Canada Geese.

Yes. Canada Goose/Canada Geese is the name. Canadian Geese would refer to geese hatched and raised in Canada so it could refer to any goose species that migrates there to breed, like Snow Geese, or Greater White Fronted Geese, or Ross's Geese, or Brant, or a bunch of other species.

Oh SHIT, don't make me go dig up that second edition of Linnaeus to set y'all straight again

turns-out-owls-have-a-pair-of-slender-legs-under-their-fluff-01-2.jpg

Owls have long legs, and it's weird.

New one is def cooler than the old one. Great discovery. Thanks, Trump!

Also, why are the dude birds so much more attractive/cooler than the chick birds?

Lots of reasons/theories. Two primary thoughts though, sexual selection and cryptic camouflage. Females in many many species tend to do the majority of nest incubation while males do the majority of territory and resource defense. So, females can afford to be noisy and brightly colored because it will draw attention to the nests and thus put a huge depredation pressure on nests. Males on the other hand use songs and bright coloration to warn away competitors and even some predators from nesting territories so bright colors help and females actually choose males that have brighter more ornate colors. In some cases when predation pressure for the males in removed the sexual selection goes crazy and you end up with neon John Bolton birds like show in the video. In species where males and females share incubation duties (like Oystercatchers!), or that nest in colonies where territory defense is down played (like "seagulls"), the plumage patterns between males and females are really similar.

I found this guy in my backyard over the weekend. Owls are so bad ass.

6596d300dc5f840a89bad7c10ac8ba9f.jpg

The father of a childhood friend posted this on facebook, and I felt it appropriate to share.

Birds: how fascinating they are! Always on the move, so colorful, so vulnerable especially in cold weather..I still can’t get my head around how small birds can survive prolonged cold spells in the winter!? Also, what goes on inside their heads...I re-read a book from my pre-teen years called Birds as Individuals by a female British musician. She lived in my home county, Sussex, and allowed the birds to enter her home and approach her at any time. Her yard was a haven for all kinds of species with feeding stations and nest boxes and the like. She characterized the individuality of their songs, not only between species but from one bird to another within species...some really powerful and creative singers, others not so much...she wrote out their songs using conventional musical notation so someone could re-create what she heard and how birds differed. This book was for some reason very popular in the Netherlands but probably also in other European countries. A US edition was also produced.

Here’s a strange occurrence at our bird feeders this winter: we left our home in PA in early winter and ended up in Florida after a brief sojourn in Philly...before I left, I filled up both feeders, one on the front of the house facing South, the other on the side of the house facing East..both feeders are very well subscribed..I have to work to keep them in seed when I am home. Well, before leaving this year, I had been saving up some bacon fat in a small plastic yoghurt container and tied it to the bottom of the East facing feeder. A friend (LD) who was looking after our house reported that the seed in that feeder had not been touched whereas the feeder facing south was quickly emptied. This continued for a couple of months until early Feb when I had occasion to visit home. I removed the bacon fat containing yoghurt containers and within a week she said the birds had emptied the previously avoided feeder!

I thought that the fat supplies would have attracted some species but it seems that the altered appearance of the feeder had a powerful repulsive effect. I expect this kind of thing is well known to birders..most animal species, after all, are neophobic to some degree...but to avoid a feeder which they had been using for several years during a cold winter amazes me!

Back