• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marijuana Legalization

awaken

Reaction score
CuRg-PIVYAAaoFy.jpg

Several Ballot measures passed. Over 50% of the states now allow medicinal use, and the number of recreational is pushing 20%. How long until the federal government recognizes the movement and makes a change? I have a bet with my father in law that by december 31, 2023 marijuana will be legal for recreational use in all 50 states. I think it is going to come as a landslide when the federal government removes it as a hostile drug. The question for me isn't if, but when. The writing is on the wall for marijuana, just uncertain as to when that change will come.

Any thoughts?

Tipping point will not be public opinion. It'll be when tobacco companies/name your big lobby can position themselves to immediately be market leaders.

That can happen right now. The only reason Tobacco companies aren't involved is because it is illegal. It wouldn't take 6 months to get the tobacco companies ramping up major marijuana production.

Tipping point will not be public opinion. It'll be when tobacco companies/name your big lobby can position themselves to immediately be market leaders.

The tipping point isn't the tobacco companies. They have had plans since the 70s. It will come when it is just too difficult to enforce a patchwork of laws. Or if a POTUS decides to punish the states that have legalized it.

I've heard from a person or two in the know that BIG TOBACCO is already poised to jump in on BIG WEED once it becomes legal nationally.

How far do you think it swings, will we go all the way to like marijuana vending machines like the good old days of tobacco, or still just like personal at home use only.

How far do you think it swings, will we go all the way to like marijuana vending machines like the good old days of tobacco, or still just like personal at home use only.

I think it will be like alcohol. Legal everywhere but slightly different methods of access by state.

I think it will be like alcohol. Legal everywhere but slightly different methods of access by state.

Are there differences in the legalized states so far or are they all dispensaries?

Hopefully this will be the beginning where all recreational drugs will be decriminalized. Too big an incentive to the criminal element and too many people in jail for just trying to enjoy life the way they see fit (so long as it does not take anyone elses liberty or property).

And they'll still be in jail while big tobacco and other entrepreneurs take over their market share. And the cruel irony is that their criminal record for selling weed will make it difficult for them to get a job legally selling weed.

The big Tobacco Companies are going to go nowhere near that. Too much of a risk to the core Tobacco business from a regulatory standpoint. While the core tobacco business is declining, it is still a cash cow that dwarfs any marijuana market.

The stuff you have heard is BS.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll be selling Winston Weed or Camel Kush. It won't be that obvious. I'd be shocked if they're not exploring possibilities or backing small entrepreneurs. It's a big opportunity to cash in as smoking declines.

When state A (not legal) sees state B (legal and taxable) get closer to balancing their budget, state A's populace and law makers with change their tune rapidly.

When state A (not legal) sees state B (legal and taxable) get closer to balancing their budget, state A's populace and law makers with change their tune rapidly.

This. Once it becomes clear that legalization in CO has been a net success from a budgetary perspective, you'll see more states legalizing it. Agree with Wrangor that it'll be legal everywhere within a decade or so, but maybe not as fast as he thinks.

Are there differences in the legalized states so far or are they all dispensaries?

At this point they are pot stores/dispensaries. The breakthrough will come when pot is no longer a Schedule 1 narcotic. If it's completely legalized by the feds, then it might be sold other places than currently.

Back