• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)

WakeSC

Reaction score
What do you think? I have questions about net neutrality and how it may affect new environmental legislation and new regulation in general going forward. Also, concerned about the Investor State Dispute Settlements (ISDS). Do think it is important for American economic growth in Asian markets to compete against China. Want to be for it but not yet sure.

It adds parity and competitiveness to the US and 11 Asian countries w.r.t. China. It lowers the tax cost of US made goods like cars and agricultural products and manufactured goods, which should be a real boon towards the trade deficit. It's the largest expansion of fully enforceable labor protection in global history. It's forcing the remaining countries who haven't ratified UNCAC anti-corruption policies to do so.

The major concerns for me are environmental. The same "protections" in place with NAFTA are still enforceable but we've seen how those have gone.

I was pretty surprised that, given the campaign rhetoric and toxicity that the TPP carries with it, actually reading intelligent economists' viewpoints on TPP reveals nothing anywhere near a consensus. Complex proposal with good and bad things going on in it - and not a whole lot of agreement about whether they balance out to achieve a common good.

Back