• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hillary Clinton and First Lady Michelle Obama Speaking in the Joel

LOL at the idea that democrats are too stupid and irresponsible to get an ID. I have a slightly higher opinion of most democrats than that.

Take it up with 'pubs who intentionally set up a "voter id" law that included provisions specifically targeted at reducing minority voting turnout.

It ain't complicated. Pass a law that states you have to have an ID to vote. In the same law, provide an easy measure in which a voter can get a free ID. Problem solved.

Instead, the NC "voter ID" law includes tons of provisions reducing ease with which people can register to vote, reduces early voting, and makes no attempt to reduce voter fraud via absentee ballots. Wonder why?

If you want to bitch about not having to show ID, bitch at the republicans. It was their bill.

Take it up with 'pubs who intentionally set up a "voter id" law that included provisions specifically targeted at reducing minority voting turnout.

It ain't complicated. Pass a law that states you have to have an ID to vote. In the same law, provide an easy measure in which a voter can get a free ID. Problem solved.

Instead, the NC "voter ID" law includes tons of provisions reducing ease with which people can register to vote, reduces early voting, and makes no attempt to reduce voter fraud via absentee ballots. Wonder why?

If you want to bitch about not having to show ID, bitch at the republicans. It was their bill.

Oh no, Sig. Not like this.

yeah but on a weekly basis, for real, do you actually pull out your ID? I'm trying to remember the last time I had to show my ID. I don't get carded anymore so that cuts it down significantly.

you're not getting a hunting license or buying a Rated M videogame every week

Okay, so once a month. Every other day if you are a drinker or smoker.

Pretty damn hard to be a minimally productive member of society without one. I am okay with that very low bar in order to vote.

I'm not arguing you don't need one rather frequently. I think it shouldn't require hours upon hours of waiting and producing documents to get one.

Try not to be such an ass PhD. I'm not a bad person. I try to assume that others aren't bad people. We're all just doing the best we can and espousing ideas and theories that we think are right, just, and the best for humanity overall. We just have different opinions as to what those ideas and theories are. I happen to believe that it makes perfect sense that a person identify themselves when they want to vote - you know, to make sure they really are who they say they are. I don't believe that because I want to prevent any particular portion of the populace from voting - I believe that because I think it makes sense and because it would prevent any possibility of voter fraud - by anyone on either side.
At the same time I realize that voting is a right and that everyone should be able to vote if they want to - so I am in favor of making it very easy to get the necessary ID.

Can you stop trying to paint me into a corner as some kind of evil OWG? I'm just a generally apolitical dude trying to get by - and I really should just stay off of this board, truth be told...

scooter, your whole argument here is assuming the worst in others with no evidence.

Oh no, Sig. Not like this.

You have had a veto proof majority since 2012. Why don't we have a voter ID law?

Do you want to explain how reducing early voting helps reduce voter fraud?

Do you want to state that NC pubs were not trying to reduce minority voter turnout with the bill they passed?

You have had a veto proof majority since 2012. Why don't we have a voter ID law?

Do you want to state that NC pubs were not trying to reduce minority voter turnout with the bill they passed?

*which has been struck down by a court for targeting people of color with "surgical precision*

And how does reducing the number of places to vote early prevent fraud?

A bill was passed which echoed basic expectations of human behavior to the solemn act of selecting our government. A court found that black people are uniquely incapable of complying with this racially-neutral standard. I do not share that opinion, but apparently most Dems do (which itself is troubling). If you believe black people are uniquely incapable of complying with this widely-used, neutral standard, I have to ask, who is the raciost again?

JHMD what do you think the motivating factor was in curbing early voting, eliminating Sunday voting, etc.?

A bill was passed which echoed basic expectations of human behavior to the solemn act of selecting our government. A court found that black people are uniquely incapable of complying with this racially-neutral standard. I do not share that opinion, but apparently most Dems do (which itself is troubling). If you believe black people are uniquely incapable of complying with this widely-used, neutral standard, I have to ask, who is the raciost again?

I would ignore my questions as well. You clearly aren't willing to admit to the answers.

If your party had wanted to have voter ID, it could have. Instead, it passed a voter suppression law.

Your party.

JHMD what do you think the motivating factor was in curbing early voting, eliminating Sunday voting, etc.?

If the topic is the requirement to show an i.d. in order to vote (which I believe it is), it shouldn't matter when you show that i.d., be it early, Sunday or on election day.

I would ignore my questions as well. You clearly aren't willing to admit to the answers.

If your party had wanted to have voter ID, it could have. Instead, it passed a voter suppression law.

Your party.

Well this is just pitiable. The absence of statewide early voting = "suppression"? Tell that to the many states without it. Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Washington. By your assessment, the Democrats who run Rhode Island eliminated statewide early voting to suppress the black vote. Thanks a lot, Democrats.

https://www.vote.org/early-voting-calendar/

I guess we should just throw out the results of all of those states, then?

If I had to stop my day and defend against each and every time a low expectations Dems tried to scare people with race-baiting charges of election rigging, I'd never have time to enjoy all the benefits of my cisgender privilege. Not like this, Sig.

In our state, you don't even have to get out of your chair to get a current i.d. The current Governor took away the requirement that you renew in person, making it easier than ever to get an i.d. in North Carolina. Thanks, McCrory. [smashcut to image of a brass statue of Bev Perdue being dragged to the ground by a lasso and beaten repeatedly by a shoe-wielding populace]. My party did that.

I don't believe basic expectations for other humans is an act of racism, but then again I don't get out of bed every day looking for opportunities to be offended. I find work more of a reliable method of meeting my responsibilities. I would make a dreadful Democrat.

Last edited:
If the topic is the requirement to show an i.d. in order to vote (which I believe it is), it shouldn't matter when you show that i.d., be it early, Sunday or on election day.

You didn't answer his question.

You didn't answer his question.

Where he changed the topic from the i.d. requirement to the discretionary option of early voting? You're correct. I would like an answer to my question "the Dem mythology of congenital helplessness" before we change the discussion to when to vote. Since he didn't answer, do you believe people of certain skin colors are uniquely incapable of complying with neutral requirements? Could you see the problems with that argument? If a Republican made that argument, or frankly anything in the ballpark, it would be disqualifying racism. Dems wish to write that into the case law. What a time to be alive...

Would you like to talk about early voting instead? Glad to. See the states that don't have any early voting at all. Are they out to rig elections too, or does that scare tactic only apply to Republican run states?

Well this is just pitiable. The absence of statewide early voting = "suppression"? Tell that to the many states without it. Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Washington. By your assessment, the Democrats who run Rhode Island eliminated statewide early voting to suppress the black vote. Thanks a lot, Democrats.

https://www.vote.org/early-voting-calendar/

I guess we should just throw out the results of all of those states, then?

If I had to stop my day and defend against each and every time a low expectations Dems tried to scare people with race-baiting charges of election rigging, I'd never have time to enjoy all the benefits of my cisgender privilege. Not like this, Sig.

In our state, you don't even have to get out of your chair to get a current i.d. The current Governor took away the requirement that you renew in person, making it easier than ever to get an i.d. in North Carolina. Thanks, McCrory. [smashcut to image of a brass statue of Bev Perdue being dragged to the ground by a lasso and beaten repeatedly by a shoe-wielding populace]. My party did that.

I don't believe basic expectations for other humans is an act of racism, but then again I don't get out of bed every day looking for opportunities to be offended. I find work more of a reliable method of meeting my responsibilities. I would make a dreadful Democrat.

Did your party have the ability to pass a law that provided a free ID and the require its use to cast a vote?

Did it instead request information about which types of early voting measures were most used by minorities and then include that in a voter ID bill?

It's ok to admit your people fucked up. It's ugly, but it is ok. Democrats fuck up too.

Did your party have the ability to pass a law that provided a free ID and the require its use to cast a vote?

Did it instead request information about which types of early voting measures were most used by minorities and then include that in a voter ID bill?

It's ok to admit your people fucked up. It's ugly, but it is ok. Democrats fuck up too.

Government screws up a lot, actually. Pub, Dem or otherwise. That notion is at the liquid core of my personal and political philosophy. Not sure that was ever in dispute.

I don't have a problem with early voting. My party's decision to curtail it has given the Left another excuse to try to scare people. They reliably exploit them. It's like flag burning and the Estate tax. Time to move on to the next excuse.

Where he changed the topic from the i.d. requirement to the discretionary option of early voting? You're correct. I would like an answer to my question "the Dem mythology of congenital helplessness" before we change the discussion to when to vote. Since he didn't answer, do you believe people of certain skin colors are uniquely incapable of complying with neutral requirements? Could you see the problems with that argument? If a Republican made that argument, or frankly anything in the ballpark, it would be disqualifying racism. Dems wish to write that into the case law. What a time to be alive...

Would you like to talk about early voting instead? Glad to. See the states that don't have any early voting at all. Are they out to rig elections too, or does that scare tactic only apply to Republican run states?

You still didn't answer his question.

Government screws up a lot, actually. Pub, Dem or otherwise. That notion is at the liquid core of my personal and political philosophy. Not sure that was ever in dispute.

I don't have a problem with early voting. My party's decision to curtail it has given the Left another excuse to try to scare people. They reliably exploit them. It's like flag burning and the Estate tax. Time to move on to the next excuse.

Why did your party choose to curtail it, pray tell? Surely someone as knowledgeable and well-read as yourself would have an opinion on the motive. Maybe evidence of some of the research topics the general assembly reviewed prior to passing the law would shed some light on the motives?

Back