• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

I wasn't commenting on MVP, but if he does average 30/10/10, it would be really hard for him not to win. It would be interesting to see the vote if Russ goes 30/10/10 and Lebron does 27/8/8 and has the best record in the East. That would be a close call.

What if Lebron goes 29/7/9?

Somewhat related, Durant basically missed the entire year in 14-15 and Westbrook averaged 29-9-7 and the Thunder finished 9th in the West and Westbrook finished 4th in MVP voting with zero first place votes.

We're all ignoring the sleeper MVP candidate though.

mavsblog.dallasnews.com_files_2015_07_SUNS_CHANDLER_BASKETBALL_44887117.jpg

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: we talkin' mvp now

I just did a quick glance back to 1980 and every MVP was on a top 3 team, usually even better than that.

That's why I think Kawhi, Lebron, and Westbrook are the clear favorites. I'm bearish on the Clippers getting that 3 spot and I think Westbrook on a mission could get there. There will be a decent gap between 2 and 3 though.

14-15 is a super meh comparison. KD bolting is far more motivation than injured KD. Coaching is improved as well.

Last edited:
I don't think the Thunder are that good though. They beat the two worst teams in the league last year by 6 (76ers) and and OT win at home (Suns). Still early but I'd be very surprised if they aren't behind Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Blazers at least.

14-15 I said was somewhat related. Westbrook's stats were fantastic (yeah he's outpacing them so far) and he wasn't really close. But this team is much better with Adams and a couple nicer role pieces but still I think they're going to be 6/7/8 team in the West.

I don't think the Thunder are that good though. They beat the two worst teams in the league last year by 6 (76ers) and and OT win at home (Suns). Still early but I'd be very surprised if they aren't behind Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Blazers at least.

14-15 I said was somewhat related. Westbrook's stats were fantastic (yeah he's outpacing them so far) and he wasn't really close. But this team is much better with Adams and a couple nicer role pieces but still I think they're going to be 6/7/8 team in the West.

Why does everyone forget about Le bone's Griz? They didn't have Conley or Gasol for over 25% of last season and added Chandler Parsons to fill their weakest position.

4 I listed are stone cold locks to be better than the Thunder imo. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Grizz are better as well.

4 I listed are stone cold locks to be better than the Thunder imo. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Grizz are better as well.

I acknowledge I'm more optimistic about the Thunder than most. I think they could lead a pack including the Thunder, Griz, Clips, and Blazers.

i just have a hard time believing the 'der will be in position to net russ the mvp.

Y'all are trippin if you think Harden will be in the MVP discussion. He'll probably set some sort of record this year involving assists, but the Rockets won't be good enough and there's a lot of anti-beard bias out there.

I acknowledge I'm more optimistic about the Thunder than most. I think they could lead a pack including the Thunder, Griz, Clips, and Blazers.

if russy leads this thunder team to the 3 seed in the west not only should he be mvp, he should be the 2nd unanimous mvp

Last edited:
Y'all are trippin if you think Harden will be in the MVP discussion. He'll probably set some sort of record this year involving assists, but the Rockets won't be good enough and there's a lot of anti-beard bias out there.

Are you suggesting it's rigged?

Thanks to NBA thread for the Lowe Down podcast rec. Good stuff.

Remember that time Kobe Bryant stole an MVP from Chris Paul?

literally the only reason i wont be pissed every time i see the clipse won is the hoep that a top 3 finish will net cp2 an mvp.

Injuries end up completely hosing at least one team a year. There will be a team that seems like a complete lock that either won't make the playoffs or limps into the last or 2nd to last playoff spot.

literally the only reason i wont be pissed every time i see the clipse won is the hoep that a top 3 finish will net cp2 an mvp.

I'm not sure he'll put up the numbers to justify it this season. They would have to be top 2 in the West.

Injuries end up completely hosing at least one team a year. There will be a team that seems like a complete lock that either won't make the playoffs or limps into the last or 2nd to last playoff spot.

sure, if the clips lose cp3 for the year and fat raymond felton becomes the starting point guard i expect the clippers to be much worse. though i don't think injuries killed any good teams regular season seedings last year. the clippers lost blake for 50 games ly and still finished 4th in the west by 9 games. grizz were riddled with injuries but managed them well, tough to say they would have been seeded much higher.

Back