• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: San Diego, CA

doubledeac

Reaction score
I have never been but my wife and I are going for 4-5 days in January. Any suggestions on what to do or see? Restaurants?

Perhaps a Hall of Fame punter can provide some recommendations.

It might be fun to do a whale watching cruise. Sometimes dolphins swim alongside the boats.

Do not go to Tijuana. It's not all that safe and is crummy.

Let's look at the top and the fun. Island Prime is high end. very good and has great views. On the other end is Hodad's for a great burger and shakes. It's been in the Top 10 burgers in America in several ratings.

I'll be in San Diego all week next week for some conference, we are staying at the Hotel Del Coronado. Anyone ever stay there, it looks ok?

I like to drink heavily so if anyone has any recommendations of places to go where other 25-30 year olds go to drink heavily that would be sick. Thanks.

Something else to remember-the water is COLD.

Check out Gas Lamp Area.

its pretty much the best place on earth and everyone who doesn't live there is retarded. gas lamp area is awesome, hit up like 5 breweries and sunset cliffs

sunset_cliff.jpg

You can easily dive off this formation on the right

Sunset%20Cliffs-X2.jpg

its pretty much the best place on earth and everyone who doesn't live there is retarded. gas lamp area is awesome, hit up like 5 breweries and sunset cliffs

sunset_cliff.jpg

Sunset%20Cliffs-X2.jpg

Stayed right there for a week in September and jumped off that cliff.

sunset_cliff.jpg

Sunset%20Cliffs-X2.jpg

You don't live there.

[video]http://www.cc.com/video-clips/mlhdui/comedy-central-presents-the-weather[/video]

Look at about 1:40

Whenever I meet someone in DC that moved here from San Diego I automatically assume they are insane until they give me some sort of reasonable explanation.

I've only been once and only for a day and a half on business, but I still managed to play Torrey Pines (went straight from the plane), drank some amazing beer and had some ridiculous sushi. Sold.

i almost never leave ocean beach when i've been there. great beer and i love the beach town vibe. pizza port rules.

Little Italy and Gaslamp Quarter both have amazing selections for food and beer.

Cabrillo Monument at Point Loma has some amazing views, scenery, if your into outdoors.

Take the ferry over to Coronado and spend an evening/entire day. I didn't stay at Hotel del Coronado but we walked past it and along the beach in front. Nice beach with bars/restaurants near by.

Lots of homeless people. None were threatening or anything, generally kept to themselves. But there are a lot. I was there last summer and I'm pretty sure one night when we were walking to Gas Lamp we saw EMS loading a dead guy onto a stretcher.

Whenever I meet someone in DC that moved here from San Diego I automatically assume they are insane until they give me some sort of reasonable explanation.

I've only been once and only for a day and a half on business, but I still managed to play Torrey Pines (went straight from the plane), drank some amazing beer and had some ridiculous sushi. Sold.

I thought Torrey was positively soul less. That amazing property and such a blah (although hard) golf course. I appreciate the muni roots though.

La Jolla is also gorgeous. George's has amazing Fish tacos. Lots of places with great fish tacos, actually. Carne Asada fries are also a big thing there.

Lots of great breweries.

Hodad's is delicious. Loved their burger.

That reminds me of when my son Tommy and I roadtripped down to Tijunaa, back when it wasn't so dangerous. We went across the border, had some fun, got into a fight, and around 2 the next afternoon decided it was time to go home. Tommy had gotten punched in the face, so his teeth were killing him and he's pounding bourbon the whole trip back. Little did we know that Ronald Reagan was flying into the San Diego airport that afternoon, so the 5 was shut down from Chupa Loma to Long Beach.

So we got off and took the 101 up the coast. Tommy After a couple of hours we needed a pit stop so we pulled into a bar on the side of the road. While we waited for the bathroom to open up, we sat at the bar next to Nick Nolte and James Coburn, talking about what kind of movies they could make together.

Tommy is in serious pain now, and he wants to go find a local dentist. It didn't seem like that big an injury and I was a little loose too, so I loudly called him out: "WHAT ARE YOU, A QUITTER?" He started crying and went to the bathroom. Nick and Jimmy are laughing out loud at this scene.

Tommy finally comes out with a wad of paper towels stuffed in his mouth. He was so drunk he pulled his own tooth out with some pliers he found in the bathroom! Now the whole place is laughing at him, and he's running around threatening to smack anyone who laughs with a piece of firewood that he found outside the front door. I finally got him back out to the truck and let him sleep it off in the truck bed while we sat in traffic for the next few hours.

Back