• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: San Diego, CA

I'll be in San Diego all week next week for some conference, we are staying at the Hotel Del Coronado. Anyone ever stay there, it looks ok?

I like to drink heavily so if anyone has any recommendations of places to go where other 25-30 year olds go to drink heavily that would be sick. Thanks.

Stayed there with my wife a few months back for a conference and really liked it. We paid a little extra for an Ocean View Room and thought it was definitely worth it. Lots of good places within easy walking distance.

That reminds me of when my son Tommy and I roadtripped down to Tijunaa, back when it wasn't so dangerous. We went across the border, had some fun, got into a fight, and around 2 the next afternoon decided it was time to go home. Tommy had gotten punched in the face, so his teeth were killing him and he's pounding bourbon the whole trip back. Little did we know that Ronald Reagan was flying into the San Diego airport that afternoon, so the 5 was shut down from Chupa Loma to Long Beach.

So we got off and took the 101 up the coast. Tommy After a couple of hours we needed a pit stop so we pulled into a bar on the side of the road. While we waited for the bathroom to open up, we sat at the bar next to Nick Nolte and James Coburn, talking about what kind of movies they could make together.

Tommy is in serious pain now, and he wants to go find a local dentist. It didn't seem like that big an injury and I was a little loose too, so I loudly called him out: "WHAT ARE YOU, A QUITTER?" He started crying and went to the bathroom. Nick and Jimmy are laughing out loud at this scene.

Tommy finally comes out with a wad of paper towels stuffed in his mouth. He was so drunk he pulled his own tooth out with some pliers he found in the bathroom! Now the whole place is laughing at him, and he's running around threatening to smack anyone who laughs with a piece of firewood that he found outside the front door. I finally got him back out to the truck and let him sleep it off in the truck bed while we sat in traffic for the next few hours.

classic rj!

I'll be in San Diego all week next week for some conference, we are staying at the Hotel Del Coronado. Anyone ever stay there, it looks ok?

I like to drink heavily so if anyone has any recommendations of places to go where other 25-30 year olds go to drink heavily that would be sick. Thanks.

Yeah I was there back in May for a conference as well. It was pretty nice, it's an older historic resort that's been there 100 years so it has a big history vibe. I had all the meals as part of the conference included, so I have no recommendations as far as restaurants in the resort or on Coronado.

Gas lamp district has a lot of the bars and restaurants you'd be looking for. We went out a few days early in order to experience more of the area and that's where we went out for dinner and drinks. Also, a bit out of the way but Lucha Libre Taco Shop had some awesome California burritos.

i almost never leave ocean beach when i've been there. great beer and i love the beach town vibe. pizza port rules.

Ocean and Mission Beach bars/restaurants have a few golf carts that can take you back to your hotel or to the next place.

rovb
I stay at Glorietta Bay Inn all the time, right across the street from the Del. I"m guessing you found Leroy's already...very cool spot.

I'll second the Midway req.. One of my fav dive bars is the StarBar down in the gaslamp.

Resurrecting this thread to ask a couple of questions:

1. Is hodad's still good?
2. Do I need to rent a car for a long weekend?
3. Planning on staying at the Marriott Coronado Island Resort - any reason not to?

Thanks all!

Coronado is awesome, though I can't speak for that hotel specifically.

Car rental - depends on what you want to do and your affinity for Uber/Lyft. Public transportation there is a joke. We Ubered everywhere, including to the outskirts for a few breweries (Ballast Point, Alesmith, etc).

Resurrecting this thread to ask a couple of questions:

1. Is hodad's still good?
2. Do I need to rent a car for a long weekend?
3. Planning on staying at the Marriott Coronado Island Resort - any reason not to?

Thanks all!

Hopefully you got the PM i sent. I would get a car as a lot of the cool stuff is sorta spread out.

Coronado is wonderful. The bar at the Hotel Del outside is great for the sunset. Lat time we were there we saw a perfect green flash.

hey, can you send me info, too? We're headed there with kiddos (8 and 11) for spring break. Will likely hit the zoo and want to do some hikes, check out the beaches/tide pools, and eat some good food. husband's cousin lives down there and will have some good recs as well, but more info never hurts.

hey, can you send me info, too? We're headed there with kiddos (8 and 11) for spring break. Will likely hit the zoo and want to do some hikes, check out the beaches/tide pools, and eat some good food. husband's cousin lives down there and will have some good recs as well, but more info never hurts.

Safari at the zoo...Hodad's for burgers...it's a little late, but there might be a couple of whale watching excursions, the dolphins sometimes play with the boats.

Safari at the zoo...Hodad's for burgers...it's a little late, but there might be a couple of whale watching excursions, the dolphins sometimes play with the boats.

yeah, I looked at the whale watching... but it's expensive and I know one of the kids gets seasick (so do I), so it's probably not worth it for us.

yeah, I looked at the whale watching... but it's expensive and I know one of the kids gets seasick (so do I), so it's probably not worth it for us.

RE: Safari Park -check online for discount tix. You should be able to find some. It's more fun than the zoo.

Disneyland is about 60-90 minutes from SD, right up I-5...you could keep going and drive home :)

Right next to the Padres stadium they have a field where the kids can play.

It might be fun to take a lunch trip on the train. You can go from SD or Solana Beach to San Juan Capistrano, go out on the pier, or the beach and have lunch right there. It's a double decker train.

Safari park already mentioned, but the zoo downtown is also excellent. There is an aquarium in la Jolla that my kids loved. SeaWorld. The Midway aircraft carrier is definitely worth touring, really cool.

This is REALLY important...the ocean water is frickin cold...I mean shrikage inducing cold...

This is REALLY important...the ocean water is frickin cold...I mean shrikage inducing cold...

We're coming from Oregon. We know cold water.

The Ranunculus Farm (Flower Fields) in Carlsbad is a cool super touristy thing to do and timing is getting better for it into April. Take the Coaster and have lunch somewhere on the Coast. Also, RJ was killer on recs, so many thanks for my long ago North County Trip.

Last edited:
The Ranunculus Farm (Flower Fields) in Carlsbad is a cool super touristy thing to do and timing is getting better for it into April. Take the Coaster and have lunch somewhere on the Coast. Also, RJ was killer on recs, so many thanks for my long ago North County Trip.

Probably the best place on the train for lunch is San Jaun capistrano/San Clemente. There a bunch of places on and near the pier. The kids can run on the beach afterwards.

Back