• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Indomitable: Move it to the exits

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok ladies, get in formation.

I think more young organizers are taking the long view and don't feel as beholden to party politics. We shall see. Breaking away the progressive cause from the Democratic party is the type of work that many groups around here are focused on.

You just dilute power if the opposition is unwilling to divide.

If you truly back a candidate there isn't any reason why you shouldn't say so...if you don't have rebuttals to someone's "lecture" you might need to get a new candidate.

I agree with you on one level, but on another, why should anyone have to be lectured/made to defend a position by someone else for what they feel. I know my mother complete avoided any political questions on FB and she usually volunteers with her party of choice.

After a toxic election cycle and fully disheartening climax I hope most common sense peep take some time for good pizza tonight. Healing.

After a toxic election cycle and fully disheartening climax I hope most common sense peep take some time for good pizza tonight. Healing.

too sick for pizza right now :(

(literally, I am ill - not from election. Bad cold/sinus infection/something - going to get tested for strep today just in case.)

Bernie was the strongest force for the kind of populism you're talking about and he failed.

What does the Democratic Party stand for in 2016?

He failed to overcome a pretty stacked system. It'd help if the power of the party was behind the message.

Chicago is different because there is no opposition, but your post is pretty much #whytry.

I would argue that we just tried. I think the Sanders movement represented something close to that. My concern with young activists is that our generation's expectation of instant gratification leads to an unwillingness to compromise. You could argue that unwillingness is principled, but it's not how things get done. Now if you want to claim that the status quo is broken, I'm not going to disagree with you, but the alternative is backsliding on progress. We are getting that in places like NC.

If this doesn't lead us to the break of the two-party system we have then I don't really know what will.

The problem is that Johnson didn't get more votes. I was hopeful he would get the 5% necessary to have access to the big time campaign finance dough. If not in this election, I'm afraid it will never happen.

I would argue that we just tried. I think the Sanders movement represented something close to that. My concern with young activists is that our generation's expectation of instant gratification leads to an unwillingness to compromise. You could argue that unwillingness is principled, but it's not how things get done. Now if you want to claim that the status quo is broken, I'm not going to disagree with you, but the alternative is backsliding on progress. We are getting that in places like NC.

The Sanders campaign operated within the Democratic party. It won't happen overnight, but it's gotta start local and then build coalition across municipalities and counties before it can reach anything nationally. I don't think President is the right platform for trying to effect these kind of changes, not in today's America.

The Sanders campaign operated within the Democratic party. It won't happen overnight, but it's gotta start local and then build coalition across municipalities and counties before it can reach anything nationally. I don't think President is the right platform for trying to effect these kind of changes, not in today's America.

On this we agree. Now is a good opportunity as Pubs control literally everything, so have nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back